What is this Gorgeous.Handsome little chick?!

jlynn1515

Chirping
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon, USA
I recently purchased ducks... what little messes they are! When I went to pick them up, the lady begged me to take her one and only chick. She said she has NO idea what breed and NO idea on gender. It has transitioned well to being raised with chickens instead of its duck friends... Now that it knows it isn't a duck (haha) what kinda of chick is it!?!? If you have a good guess as to breed as well as gender - anything is appreciated! This chick is roughly 3 to 4 weeks.
Thank you!
Jessie

welcome-byc.gif

To young to sex (needs to be around 6 weeks), is it just me or does it have "puffy" cheeks?

No idea on the breed, maybe a mix? What kind of chickens did the lady have? I know it's too young, maybe another 2wks would be safer but I will stick my neck out and say Pullet. Watch the comb & wattle, if starts to get bigger & redder, then maybe a Cockerel/Roo.

I did not see any chickens on her property at the time! They are free range and they live on MANY acres! I think either way that I lucked into a beauty! She felt horrible since it is the only chick and being raised by ducks. So she just gave it to me so it could be friends with my other chicks. They all got along right away. It has been a few weeks since adding it and it has developed quite the personality! Definitely thinking mix. I just wish I knew what! also gender... patience is not my friend! (haha)
-Jessie

No idea on the breed, maybe a mix? What kind of chickens did the lady have? I know it's too young, maybe another 2wks would be safer but I will stick my neck out and say Pullet. Watch the comb & wattle, if starts to get bigger & redder, then maybe a Cockerel/Roo.
Just a bit of an update: Still little to no comb visible, but there is a chocolate-brown color on some of the feather edges!

Back
Top Bottom