What is this gray and red bird?

Rena

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 30, 2011
Colorado
Can anyone identify the little gray thing? He came as an extra with a group of chicks that my mom got in January. He was getting picked on by the rest of his group (hence the lack of feathers), so I took him in. He is about 9 weeks old. I had been told that it was a blue laced red Wyandotte, but he isn't the same color as the other ones I have seen, so I wasn't sure. Is this right? Is it a male or female? Also, this sounds stupid, but is it a bantam? It is smaller than the other standard sized chickens (the picture is with black sex links from the same hatch date) but is much bigger than the other bantams I've had, so I'm not really sure what he is.

Thanks!

He is a splash blue laced red Wyandotte. When you breed the blue color, you get blue, black, and splash in the offspring.

To go against the grain... it is very lean for a wyandotte, even at that age. I would say probably a hatchery quality white laced red cornish.

LOL! Definitely not a Faverolles.

But my first thought when I saw it was red laced white Cornish, too, but since the OP said they were supposed to be BLR Wyandottes, I figured I must be wrong. Body shape looks just like my young hatchery dark Cornishes, though. Hmmmmm...

Hatchery quality bantam splash laced red wyandotte, probably roo. (Ideal does have bantam BLRW so they are available through some hatcheries.)

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the replies. He came from Ideal, though he wasn't on the order so I don't know what he was "supposed" to be.. just an extra (not packing peanuts though- we ordered plenty to not need those). I think he has a rose comb, but I guess those pictures aren't great. If he is still keeping me guessing in a few weeks I'll try to get some better pictures! The other roosters from this batch have been crowing for weeks, but this one is timid and not a showy boy at all.

He's now about 12 weeks. Is he "still" a boy? And does he still look like a Wyandotte? This little bird is keeping me guessing more than any others I've had :)

Back
Top Bottom