What is this noise she is making?

Vanessa373

Chirping
Sep 20, 2021
Australia
My Araucana hen has started making this noise over the last week. I work from home and she makes this noise a lot, at all times of the day. At first I thought it may have been a respiratory illness but no other birds in my flock have any symptoms. There’s a smaller almost cough noise (at the start of video) but more frequently it’s the noise at the end of the video that almost sounds like a rooster crow (but she’s an egg laying hen). Any ideas?

At first I thought it may have been a respiratory illness but no other birds in my flock have any symptoms. There’s a smaller almost cough noise (at the start of video) but more frequently it’s the noise at the end of the video that almost sounds like a rooster crow (but she’s an egg laying hen). Any ideas?
Seems possibly repiratory to me.. coupled with the sneezing.

Hens (even egg laying ones) can crow and it does sound quiet pathetic, similar to what you're hearing at the end.. not *usually* with other males present (which I think I see in the background). It IS possible though. Some also grow spurs, even without crowing. I do agree crowing would not LIKELY be constant as you describe.

My whole family doesn't always catch the flu when it comes around, since we all have our own individual immune systems. Even flocks that got a Marek's diagnosis won't all succumb to or even ever show symptoms, despite being infected carriers.

I've had my share of broody's and while all vary some in their displays and I value the previous poster's concern, help, and participation and sincerely do not intend to dismiss anyone, I disagree about it being a broody behavior or any part of "normal" hormonal breeding season stuff according to MY experience. (at least the specific sounds you're concerned about)

I might consider using a flahslight to check the nares for a stuck grass seed, fox tail, dirt, etc.

I can't prove it. Haven't seen any studies, etc. But I do wonder if some chickens might experience allergies.. indicated by no others showing symptoms, so far. Lots of things are already blooming here. Any recent changes from one bedding type to another, or feeds, etc?

Are you in the US? Adding your general location to your profile might help folks make their best suggestion possible at a glance.. regarding what resources (feed, supplements, vetrinary, etc) might be available to you, and any recent avian disease outbreak type information, etc.

Hope you get more ideas and answers and that she continues to thrive! :fl

Seems possibly repiratory to me.. coupled with the sneezing.

Hens (even egg laying ones) can crow and it does sound quiet pathetic, similar to what you're hearing at the end.. not *usually* with other males present (which I think I see in the background). It IS possible though. Some also grow spurs, even without crowing. I do agree crowing would not LIKELY be constant as you describe.

My whole family doesn't always catch the flu when it comes around, since we all have our own individual immune systems. Even flocks that got a Marek's diagnosis won't all succumb to or even ever show symptoms, despite being infected carriers.

I've had my share of broody's and while all vary some in their displays and I value the previous poster's concern, help, and participation and sincerely do not intend to dismiss anyone, I disagree about it being a broody behavior or any part of "normal" hormonal breeding season stuff according to MY experience. (at least the specific sounds you're concerned about)

I might consider using a flahslight to check the nares for a stuck grass seed, fox tail, dirt, etc.

I can't prove it. Haven't seen any studies, etc. But I do wonder if some chickens might experience allergies.. indicated by no others showing symptoms, so far. Lots of things are already blooming here. Any recent changes from one bedding type to another, or feeds, etc?

Are you in the US? Adding your general location to your profile might help folks make their best suggestion possible at a glance.. regarding what resources (feed, supplements, vetrinary, etc) might be available to you, and any recent avian disease outbreak type information, etc.

Hope you get more ideas and answers and that she continues to thrive! :fl
Thank you so much for your detailed response, it’s much appreciated!

I’m in Australia, I’ll update my profile with that info, thanks for the tip.

She hasn’t displayed any other broody behaviour (still laying, we never find her in the nest box for hours on end like we do with some of our other broodys).

There are 2 other roosters in the flock so the crowing seems unlikely. Plus it’s just come out of nowhere.

No changes to food or water but I have started putting some diatomaceous earth in with their nest box wood shavings, that’s the only change and I think I started that a few weeks before she started making this noise.

I’ll definitely check if something is stuck as she seems to shake her head whilst she’s making the noise almost like she’s trying to get something out of her throat. We’re at the end of summer and heading into autumn now so allergies may not fit either.

Thank you again for all the info.

Back
Top Bottom