what is this on my game-cam?

Quote:
Panther is a common misnomer for cougar/puma/etc. A mountain lion (puma concolor) is not part of the big cat subfamily pantherinae, it is a small cat, part of the felinae subfamily.

I'm not disagreeing with you but there is no stopping local's from calling something what they want. As a matter of fact, I live on Painter Hill which is named because of the mountain lion that was seen and/or shot here back in 1700's.

I posted a video of a couple of grey foxes on Youtube is you care to see them live:

Took me a minute to register the XKG comment, lol.

Quote:
Panther is a common misnomer for cougar/puma/etc. A mountain lion (puma concolor) is not part of the big cat subfamily pantherinae, it is a small cat, part of the felinae subfamily.

I'm not disagreeing with you but there is no stopping local's from calling something what they want. As a matter of fact, I live on Painter Hill which is named because of the mountain lion that was seen and/or shot here back in 1700's.

I posted a video of a couple of grey foxes on Youtube is you care to see them live:

Correct!

Last edited:
IMO it looks like a Grey Fox..

002_Y_101_D700_VR70-300_Iso5000_29Jul09_Grey-Fox_DX_svc690.jpg

well,i got a fox picture last night but it is the red fox.so,we can definately rule him/her out.i know most of you did anyway.his color/shading is a definate give away.
he also seems to be bigger.
i am leaning,happily i might add,to a grey fox.
41488_prms0197_1024x768.jpg

grey fox have a pronounced stripe down their back look at picture number 4 looks like a healthy grey fox to me most of the ones I trapped last year were 6-10 pounds a coupla of them were 12-14 pounders it is a good thing they do not get bigger then this LOL

Last edited:
i do say cat, not a cougar but possibly a wildcat or domestic. I say this for a number of reasons,

1.gray foxes have a larger neck and a prominent snout. i zoomed in on picture two and saw a small neck and no prominent snout.this leads me too observation number 2.

2. Grey foxes have smaller hind legs then felines, as they (felines) get much of their pouncing, climbing and running power from their hind quarters, so they naturally need more muscle in that region of their body. you can see this in pictures 1-3.

now the last two pictures (#4 and #5) look like two completely different animals. Number 4 looks like a canine, possibly a coyote or fox of some type, that looks like it's had it's fun and is now leaving. Though number 5 is in fact a member of the feline family. This is quite obvious if you have seen a cat(any member of their family) stalking or just in general, running, or standing. I know that animal in #4(probably a canine) could not of in fact turned around, ran down the slope a bit, and gotten in a stalking pose in the matter of two short seconds.

So my theory is that 1-4 is probably in fact a fox, while five is a feline. This could of happened by the fox already up and lazily walking away, while all of a sudden a feline (looks to be a cougar, but unsure of size) shoots through the brush at the top of the bank possibly hearing something down below ( doesn't look too fed), and not being able to smell anything (either wind going away from the feline or bank stops it), rushes through the foliage, only to scare off the prey ( whom it could of figured was a coyote, but by being so young, is willing to risk it for a large meal ~ has happened). You can see a disturbance at the top of the slope, on the left hand side, if you look at frames 4 and 5.

haha this is probably my longest post but hope it helps in some ways, oh and BTW I have seen all of the animals I've mentioned, alive and wild.

It's a cat. I knew the breed, just couldn't think of it.So I googled Smooth coat sandy colored cat It's a feral Abyssinian cat. Coat pattern, tail everything checks out perfictly
idunno.gif

See?

46573_abysinian_cat.jpg

Back
Top Bottom