what is this on my game-cam?

Quote:
epeloquin--I'm not insulting your intelligence nor disrespecting you and really don't want to get into some sort of p'ing contest with you. I am just saying that, by and larger, most sightings of mt. lions in the Northeast are by people who want to see them and laymen are confusing what they see with something else. It is just those "I saw a mt. lion" reports by people with little or no credibility that I question, especially when there is no hard evidence or subsequent sightings to back them up. Unquestionably there are either transit animals or released/escaped animals in the northeast--this has been confirmed by DEC biologist who have access to DNA information neither you nor I have. I have read that 1993 report as well as the follow up by the DEC officer in Keene Valley and, while the report you cite says likely not--the operative word is "likely--the animal was found to be a released S. American, origin puma. (The assumption being that it was released, not escaped.)

As far as my extrapolation--I'm just using logic based on what is known about animals reestablishing territory. By way of example: I live in what is perhaps the third "wildest" part of NYS outside of the Catskill and Adirondack Parks--over a third of this area is heavy, second growth forest, CCC plantations and it is expanding. When I first moved here 46 years ago there were occasional black bear sightings that were poo-pooed by the DEC biologists who said there were no bears in this area since they had been hunted out in the early 1900's. Then, about 20 years ago a young boar was hit and killed on the highway. "OK" said the DEC "there may be wandering males looking for new territory passing through but no breeding population." Then 10 years ago a sow and cubs were spotted and the DEC conceded there were bears here. There are now bears spotted in urban areas and we have open season on them. The point being that, yes, animals, even large ones, can repopulate areas if the habitat suits them. The same thing is true about moose in the Adirondack Park--there is now a breeding population of about 500 that have repopulated the area in the last 10/15 years. But, in both cases these populations have expanded from another, fairly close area--bears from the Catskills and N. PA and moose from New England. (The eastern coyote/wolf cross has also come in from Canada in the last 70 years too). However, there is no near population of mt lions to the northeast. The nearest confirmed breeding population is west of the Mississippi in the Dakotas--where they have also reestablished themselves from further west-- and that is a long trek to NY. Granted it was made by at least one young male and it is quite possible for others to do it as well, but it took him 2 years so I doubt a female with cubs could do it. Logic says that for there to be mt. lions in this area they would have to move in from someplace else and there is no place else. Of course the alternative would be restocking--that has been done by the NYS DEC with linx and fishers--but the DEC denies this so I have to believe them.

Like I said in a previous post--I'd love to know there was an established, breeding population of cougars in NYS or the Northeast, it is just that there is not real proof (a single sighting of "a mother and cubs" by a hunter is not proof) that this is true. Also I am aware from when I was a student at the NYS College of Forestry back in the '50's and I took a couple of courses in wildlife management that the population of wildlife is limited to the funding and range of graduate students. This could well mean there are mt lions back in areas of the Adirondack and White Mountains were no one has seen them and they are extending their population--I just seriously doubt it.

If you say you've seen one, okay fine. I have a very good friend who has lived 66 of his 72 years in the Adirondacks--he currently is in Newton--and grew up with parents and grandparents that were hunters/woodsmen so he knows animals and his way around in the woods. I know him very well and he says that he's sure he saw one cross the road one night. But even when I try to pin him down, he admits he isn't exactly sure it was a mt lion or a linx or just a big cat since, aside from zoos and pictures, he's never seen one in the wild that was positively IDed. That may be where the truth of these sightings lies.

I just love the way the F&G and other PTB tell you"oh no, we don't have those here". I mean really who am I going to believe them or my lying eyes, LOL. Me and a friend of mine used to ride in the Norco/Mira Loma area all the time. We were chased by feral pigs several times, when I say chased I mean surprise attack form the bushes. There is a little sanctuary type thing in the riverbed there. One day we ran into some of the people that manage it and told them about the pigs. The flat out told there was no way we saw wild or feral pigs. Fast forward a few months.... We are out night riding and a sow with a bunch of piglets runs across the trail right under the horses feet. When they all pass we find a dead piglet, figured one of the horses stepped on it in the melee. We grab the body and put it in a saddle bag because "NOW WE HAVE PROOF"! Well on the way home the "dead piglet came back to life. We stuck that puppy in a pen and ate it a few months later. Fast forward another few months. We're out riding and run into the same guy as before. We tell him we caught a pig down there and ate it. he says "well it's illegal to hunt this area". We look him dead in the eye and say "But there are no feral/wild pigs here, how could we have got it from here"?
big_smile.png
If the Powers that be say it don't exist then they can't punish me for eating something that don't exist, right?

lol.png
Yesterday out here in the high desert not 5 miles from my farm a moose, full grown moose (THERE are NO moose within 150 miles from here) fell into an irrigation ditch. He could not get out on his own.and the result was stupid and sad. Fish and Wildlife could not get him out so they shot him.Thwen roped the body and pulled it out!
smack.gif

But maybe it was a mythical beast posing as a moose But he is on the front page of our morning paper
tongue.png
Mother Nature does not abide mans boundries we should all know this by now!!
cool.png

Quote:
But it is not that big. It is smaller than her blue heeler, just compare the pictures.
And if it was a young cub to be that small, its legs and body would be much thicker and heavier with massive paws.

Edited to add: Check out post #250 for a comparison of the photos side by side. The mystery animal is shorter in both the front shoulder and the hind end than the OPs blue heeler.

Last edited:
There's always a possibility someone will be proven wrong.

We had a bear that was recently captured in a suburb of Memphis, and it didn't escape the zoo. It traveled over 200 miles, raiding garbage cans and whatnot. I'm pretty sure most people would say, Oh, no, Memphis doesn't have bears.... but on this particular day, Memphis had a bear. It was on all the news stations and the capture was videotaped. Without the video, had someone said, "I saw a bear in Memphis," his claim would be poo-pooed.

We've also got coyotes that are killing domestic pets in the CITY of Memphis. Not a woodsy suburb, but heavily populated inner city streets and backyards. In earlier times, that would be unheard of. There are pictures and captures, so these were valid sightings. Poo-Poo on the people who said it couldn't be a coyote and was probably a neighborhood dog.

I think there are new trends that need to be recognized. Wildlife is being pushed out of their existing areas by lack of food, climate change, and destruction to the land caused by man, among other things. Just because the area isn't known to have a certain animal doesn't mean that one hasn't passed through a time or two.

Please don't argue.
hit.gif
It's just as easy to respect one another.
hugs.gif

Let's get back to the OP's game cam. I think we all enjoy looking at the pictures and trying to figure out what they are. Forget the location and probabilities and let's go with general consensus. If we end up getting a daytime pic or clear-as-crystal nighttime shot, I reserve the right to say: Ahhhh! So THAT'S what it is!
ya.gif

I can admit when I'm wrong. Even though hubby says I'm always right.
tongue2.gif

Last edited:
We have both bears and mt lions in MO....which is closer than the Dakotas. Two mt. lions were killed this year by hunters and a third was caught on a game cam.......all males believed to be looking for new territories. I have pictures of bear tracks from 2009 going down my driveway and into the woods. On the front page of our local newspaper last year there was a picture of a bear walking across the playground of our local elementary school which is only 8 miles from my house. It's just a matter of time before we have breeding populations of mt. lions and bears and, if they've come this far, I have no doubt that they'll cross the Mississippi and spread out.....and they probably have already.

Krissteff - I'm only about 3.5 hours north of Memphis in southeastern MO.

As far as the OPs first pics....it's not a mt. lion....it's too small.....and not a baby one either, too long.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom