what is this on my game-cam?

Quote:
I used to be on team cat, but put my prejudices aside and have gone over to team gray fox. Everything about the animal is consistant with the fox except for the fluffiness of the tail. Because fur is an outer covering and can puff up, be flattened and even fall out or become longer or shorter depending on the season, I think that one should not look at the size of the tail alone as the determining factor. The chupacabra that many have jokingly referred to as the likely candidate is most likely a dog with alopecia or mange. Animals can look very different when their fur is damaged. Perhaps this fox has mange or a nutritional deficit brought about by the drought and some of its fur has fallen out making the tail less busy than expected. If you look at one of the frames, the animal is facing away from the camera and it really looks more fox-like than cat-like.

As for the jaguarundi--I actually looked very seriously at this animal when it was brought up. I could not find any reports of its presence or even sightings in Georgia. Perhaps you can provide a link if you were able to find one. I also looked at the color pattern of the critter. Although there are different color patterns/variants, I could not see the abrupt very light throat and underside, darker upperside and black shading down the top of the tail and to the tip of the tail. Again, I may have missed that representation in my search and it would be very helpful if you could provide a link to the photo with the color pattern you think matches (or upload it and post it) this critter, it would be most helpful.

Being a scientific person, I am not wedded to my 'team' and I am open to changing teams if the cumulative evidence supports the new theory. I am seeking help in gathering the evidence as I am not able to find the evidence that is convincing me of the jaguarundi's lead in the critter vote, so to speak.

Quote:
Have you not looked any ANY other picture in this thread? This "mt. lion" is smaller than a blue heeler and the size of a crow at the shoulder and it doesn't have the spots of a baby mt. lion. As for the 'groomer' remark, too funny, but, again, wrong. As for yet a different exotic cat...Pffft! Jaguarundi has a darker coat than a mt. lion. I love how many "escaped exotic pets" there are out there. Cracks me up at how quickly ppl jump to that conclusion too. Now if it were southern Florida, there are tons of exotics down there mainly because that's the port of entry for many, many exotic species and hurricanes have wiped out entire facilities holding these animals with nearly none being recovered....again, not because of released pets.

Last edited:
Quote:
probably the same hairdresser as the gray fox on post #164 on this page https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=565337&p=17 .
wink.png

or maybe the hairdresser used by the gray fox on post # 137 on this page https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=565337&p=14 .
but possibly even the hairdresser used by the gray fox on post # 36 on this page https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=565337&p=4 .
Quote:
'course if you're worried about your vision, you can always do the eye test from my post # 507 on this page https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=565337&p=51 .
big_smile.png

red fox = big fluffy tails we associate with foxes.
grey fox = longer, more feline tail with considerably less fluff and a more cat-like carriage.
it's not a cat, its a grey fox. just my opinion, but hey, I did the eye test...
wink.png

I get it, grey fox's tail is not as fluffy as red fox's tail... Still, the photos you linked to have tails that are two to three times as thick as the tail of the UPA.

I don't think that's accurate. true, the red fox photo has a tail that is 2-3 times the fluff factor of the UPA. but the narrower of the two haired gray foxes has a tail that is maybe 20% thicker than the UPA. and the hairless gray fox has a tail that is perhaps 30% narrower than the UPA. partly your perception depends on where, exactly, you see the bottom edge of the tail fur ending. because of the low resolution, and the fact that B&W compresses out color factors and leaves us only with intensity or saturation as percieved by the camera, objects of the same saturation run together. where I see the edge of the tail, it is quite similar to the intensity of some of the background material, and it's hard to pick an exact edge. but the tail is not as narrow as a cat's, and not as narrow as the hairless fox either.

Quote:
common and right size are contributing factors, however, it's not necessary for at least this part of team fox to disregard the UPA looking like a cat, because it doesn't. look at the leg bone mass, the thickness of the neck, the coloration on the ribs, throat and behind the ears, and the coloration pattern on the front legs... those are much more consistant with fox than puma. what I have to disregard is the *impression* of cat created by a camera-induced reduction of tail fur and the fact that an intruding leaf prevents us from seeing the profile of the animal's head.

Quote:
I started on team cat. I left team cat for team fox because when I carefully examined the photos of the UPA and the puma, in detail, they not only didn't look exactly alike, but they looked less similar than the photos of the UPA and a fox.
sorry team cat, I still love you, but I'm with team fox now.
lol.png

Quote:
no, can't go there with you. it isn't big enough for a big cat, and it does look like a fox, and it has the wrong color pattern for a jaguarundi.
and besides, I've got a grilled cheese sandwich that looks like the virgin mary, but that doesn't make it her.
wink.png
ok, I'm teasing, but perception is a tricky thing under the best of circumstances, and when perception is altered by bluring, compression of color to B&W, and low resolution, certainty gets much, much harder to come by.

Quote:
so sorry you found my photo analysis convoluted... that's the way photo analysis is done. I'd love to have the system you see in the movies where they take a blurry photo from a subway security cam and enhance the reflection of the protagonist off some guy's leather brief case and turn it into a theater-screen-sized publicity head shot, but currently, it's just not available. <sigh> have to settle for doing it the old fashioned way.

maybe I'll fire up my image processing computer, pull down a copy of the original image and put it through some enhancements. that should be an interesting exercise, and I'll post the results.

team fox (formerly team cat) signing out.

ETA, ok, I don't actually HAVE the grilled cheese sandwich. but I've seen photos of it, and it looks just like her, so I'm certain that it IS her. pretty self evident, that.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I just GOOGLED mt. lion pictures and looked at a couple hundred. Not ONE picture depicted any lions holding their tail like the animal in the OPs pictures.
I GOOGLED gray fox and every pic of the fox depicts the tail carriage just like the one in the OPs pic. The black stripe down the tail is a dead giveaway too. Mt. lions tail stripe is not as pronounced as the gray fox.

Last edited:
Quote:
I particularly love how you made the face into your own version of what it looks like. The face is obscured by the weed in front of it.

005crop.jpg

I cropped it.....without changing the picture. Note how the tail is carried. I couldn't find even one picture of a mt. lion on GOOGLE images carrying its tail in this manner yet virtually all gray foxes on GOOGLE images carry their tail in this manner.

Last edited:
Quote:
i like looking at clouds.
big_smile.png

meara-thanks for doing that.i am glad they think it is a fox,i wouldn't want a bunch of DNR guys walking around on my place anyway.lol

thanks to eveyone who has chimed in.it has made for a very educational and interesting thread.

still nothing new guys.i haven't even gotten any of the red fox lately.
i am keeping the cam set tho.

pop.gif

I am loving this "I am right, you are wrong" saga........... I have no guess! Looks feline to me, but I am not sure about fox behaviors, tails, etc etc etc. A "large feline rescue center" that is less than 50 miles from my house has "lost" a mountain lion!!! I live in Indiana, who knows! We didn't have coyotes thirty years ago, now we have them every where! How can someone "lose" a mountain lion????

Back
Top Bottom