What is this precious "ugly duckling"?

Cornychick

Songster
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
Sebastian County, AR
Heres the story:
Hubby works at a metal recycling yard by a river.
1. DH showed up to work, clocked in and when he goes outside of the shop, this sweet little guy comes running up to him out of nowhere. He picks him up for a pet and snuggle and decides he is going to 'rescue' him and go down to the dock and set him in the slow moving water. His thought was that he was doing a good thing because he has seen geese fly in before and he would just go to them if they flew in.
2. DH texts me and informs me he has rescued a goose. I think that is odd and exciting and ask for an explanation, which he tells me.
3. I ask how big it was.
4. Oh, about the age of our two (BABIES!!!!!!!)
5. I call DH and say:
-was it covered in down still??
-did you SEE any other geese around??
-what did he do when you put him in the water??
-did you know if he hasn't been conditioned for the water he could waterlog himself and drown??
-a gar could eat him??
-I AM MAD AT YOU NOW.
-you better just say a prayer for that poor little baby and check on him as soon as you can and pull him out of that river.
6. An hour passes and DH texts me that he is worried sick about said baby and regrets his actions.
7. Just before break, DH spots little guy walking around the work lot and radios the guys "GRAB THAT GOOSE!! HE'S MINE!!!"
8. DH spends the rest of the day spoiling baby and falling in love.
Here are some pics and I would like to know what you think he/she is because he looks nothing like the two we have at home. We have only had him a few days and he was very thin and 'rough' looking. He is obviously used to people, but looks to be malnurished and not cared for properly. There is evidence that he had been penned as his neck feathers have been rubbed away from (I am guessing) sticking his head through a pen to get at the grass on the outside? Our two geese at home look to be at the same age and the 3 are getting along wonderfully and he is eating well and enjoying his pool. Oh yeah....we love him
love.gif

44422_63010_054.jpg

44422_63010_056.jpg

44422_63010_055.jpg

That's a really cute story. Wish I could help you ID him, but I know next to nothing about geese. He could be a Canadian since we have a lot of wild ones around AR. BTW, where is Sebastian CO, if you don't mind me asking?

I have never owned a Goose, and am not going to be any help to you (
lol.png
) but there were a couple things I wanted to add:
When I let my Ducks hatch and raise a batch of their own babies, the dad would basically attack the ducklings by grabbing their neck.... so the a male Goose could be the cause of your little guy's feather loss
And, just because he seams friendly does not mean he was once a pet, it could be that he has just never had a human mis-treat him and so has no fear of people...

I really only know geese, etc. from bird watching (so wild species primarily) and the pictures are pretty small for me, so I really can't say. But to me it does look like a Canada gosling -- or it could be some domestic breed I'm not at all familiar with so take my guess with a grain of salt.

Does he have any yellowish down around his head or is he all grey? Is he as dark as he looks, or is that from being damp? Is his schnoz pretty big? His bill looks very large from that first picture, but I can't tell if it's just forced perspective or what. If so I'm probably wrong and he's a domestic breed.

Canada goslings have black beak and legs, and usually retail some yellow around their heads while being warm grey all over.

work.3135343.4.flat,550x550,075,f.canada-gosling.jpg

canada%20goose%20gosling%20asheboro%2051408.JPG

Canada Goslings

I don't think you have Brant Geese in AR. You do have Snow Geese in some parts, but they have orange beaks as goslings.

You have Trumpeter Swans, but Trumpeter cygnets are all over light grey, and their bills are pinkish-grey with a darker tip, so I'm pretty sure that's not what you've got.

Remember, grain of salt.
wink.png

Last edited:
juliechick, we are southwest of Fayetteville.
VelvetDragon, he really is that dark. His beak is narrower than my other goslings and there is no orange at all on his beak or his feet. I also notice his neck is more slender and head more refined in comparison. Also, when he opens his mouth like he is talking to us no loud squeeking comes out like with our other babies.

Is anyone else here thinking a swan of some sort?? That little guy doesn't look anything like any goselings I have ever seen ( not that I am in any way a goose expert ).

Back
Top Bottom