What is this scab on my chickens comb?

dboranch

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
I have 3 Bresse chickens together in a pen that is away from my other chickens. I was about to move them closer to my other chickens for ease of feeding and watering when I noticed a spot on the comb of one of my hens. It was a flat red round circle about 3/8" and seemed slightly oozing. I research it a little and thought it might be Fowl Pox although my chickens have never had it before so I am not familiar with it. In case it was fowl pox, I decided to leave them where they were at since this pen is fairly isolated from all my other chickens.

It has been about 3 weeks now and it formed a large raised scab on her comb (see pictures) but so far I do not see any other spots on her or on the other 2 chickens in the pen with her. I thought I remembered reading that Fowl Pox is slow to spread. If it is Fowl Pox, how long does it take to spread? Would I have seen some more evidence of it by now? I have a lot of other chickens and I am afraid of spreading what ever this is so I load up this pen with food and water so I do not have to go in it very often and then change my shoes. Does this look like Fowl Pox to you? If it is Fowl Pox, is it fairly certain that my other chickens are going to get it too (I only vaccinated for Meraks and nothing else)? Once a chicken is infected, how is fowl pox spread to the other chickens? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Jennie

I'd say it's not fowl pox. Fowl pox, the more common dry form anyway, is usually flat black dry areas on the com ban wattles. If uncomplicated, which it usually is, the spots disappear at 3 weeks, basically overnight.
The wet form is in the mouth and throat.) I don't know what it is, sorry.

It could be a peck wound. If it doesn't heal in a couple of more weeks, I would be concerned about it being something else. Also look around in your coop and run for a sharp object or a nail that she could have injured herself on or be re-injuring it.

@dboranch that is fowlpox for sure. A few of mine and a friends birds got fowl pox because there is this neighboring person whos birds have fowlpox and are always sick which could be coryza or CRD. We stay away from those birds and always treat ours for prevention. But our fowlpox started like that and didn't go away for a month. To stop spread, try to not be around those birds as much as possible.

Just thought I would give an update...
My rooster in the same pen ended up dying suddenly not long after my post. I took him in for a necropsy and it came back negative for fowl pox. However, they said he died from suffocation from eating some foreign plant material (that's a first especially since these three do not free range???). Still doesn't explain the scab but it ended up falling off and she looks fine now. Other hen looks fine too. I probably will never know what it was.
Thanks again for the help everyone.
Jennie

Oh wow that's interesting. Is there night shade weeds growing around there? It is poisonous. Also where did you take it for necrospy. Would like to know for future references.

rambob59,

There are no weeds or plants in their pen and they didn't say he poisoned. If you are the rambob I am thinking of in Reedley, you can take your chickens into:

CAHFS (Calif. Animal Health & Food Safety) Laboratory System
18830 Road 112
Tulare, CA 93274
(559) 688-7543
[From 99 heading south, take the 184 exit in Tulare which is the second exit south of the AG Center (or the 1st exit south of Kraft Foods)]

There are several CAHFS laboratories in CA (I know of another in Turlock too) but this is the closest one to Reedley and it is almost an hours drive. It is a free service to backyard chicken hobbyists. You are allowed to take up to two chickens/chicks in per day for a free necropsy. The chicken must be freshly deceased. As soon as you discover it died, put it in a plastic bag and put it in the refrigerator to stop decomposition until you can get it over to them but not over 2 days max from the time it died (and it is being refrigerated) OR if your chicken is still alive and you understand that they will be putting it down (it is not their job to save chickens), it is best if you can submit it while it is still alive. They are very accommodating over there. They usually call &/or will email you a preliminary report of their general observations soon after you dropped your chicken(s) off and then in about a week or so they will email you the full necropsy report with all their lab findings. We are so fortunate that they offer this service to hobbyists for free. I don't know what I would do with out them!

Jennie

Oh wow that is really cool! This whole time I always thought of UC DAVIS but going up there is one hell of a drive. Just recently our pea hen died spontaneously but couldn't figure out why. I will definitely take note of this place for future needs. It would be a great help to know if there is something in the flock specially if treatable. Well good luck to you with your bresse. And thank you for the very helpful info!:)

Back
Top Bottom