What is this?

RenataPorter

Chirping
Apr 4, 2021
Hi Everyone. This girl (Leghorn) has been laying weird eggs lately, with ridges and then she's been dropping them wherever instead of in the nesting box like normal. Today she had this going on. Is she maybe going egg bound or is this an infection? She does tend to frighten much easier than all the others, so I thought maybe she was stressed about something. Then today she started "leaking".

I appreciate your help.

Attachments

• Cleo 12.21.jpeg
    Cleo 12.21.jpeg
    727.8 KB · Views: 3
Does it seem that she has a curled egg shell membrane hanging from her vent, or is that just mucus? Has there been any respiratory symptoms, such as sneezing in the flock? Wrinkled egg shells can sometimes be associated with infectious bronchitis virus, but stress or other issues can cause egg shell problems. Is she on a layer type feed and does she have access to crushed oyster shell? I would probably try giving her a human calcium tablet or Tums orally today, and for the next couple of days to see if that helps. Some people would also try an antibiotic such as amoxicillin (Aqua Mox available online) 250 mg orally once or twice a day for 10 days. Or check with your vet.

I only see mucus and she keeps squatting like trying to lay an egg. There's no sickness that I can see, and she is actually up and eating with the flock. They are on scratch and peck layer feed and have access to oyster shell always and sometimes egg shells. I don't think calcium is the problem. It's not yellow, if that helps. I really appreciate your input.

Can you insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent 2 inches to feel for a stuck egg or other obstruction? The scratch and peck feeds can sometimes be a problem if they select the good parts of the feed first. Many have better luck with a homogenous layer or all flock feed which is all the same. This may not be a problem, since some hens just have problems with egg shells. Here is an article about egg shell problems and possible causes:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Back
Top Bottom