What is this?

What do "mud daubers" do? It's been so dry, I'd be surprised if it's from this year. Though I do water the garden every day and Lord knows the creek has dried up pretty good.

They actually sting and paralyze the spiders, pack them into a cell, lay an egg on them, cap the cell and start anoher . The spiders are there alive, but paralyzed ready to be eaten by the wasp larvae. Macabre, but sort of neat.

They actually sting and paralyze the spiders, pack them into a cell, lay an egg on them, cap the cell and start anoher . The spiders are there alive, but paralyzed ready to be eaten by the wasp larvae. Macabre, but sort of neat.
I never knew I'd learn so much about dirt daubers on a chicken forum!!

You'll find mud dauber's nests in the oddest places:

Look, you can see the spider on this nest.

I've got pictures of everything!
lol.png

You'll find mud dauber's nests in the oddest places:

Look, you can see the spider on this nest.

I've got pictures of everything!
lol.png

Is that your Nissan truck those "dobber" nest are attached to or just a random picture of someone else's, I get a kick outta ID-ing different type vehicles it 's a past time of mine as I'm a mechanic, it just hits me naturally

Jeff

It was a truck in the shop for a transmission repair last summer. For some reason I thought it was a mid 90's Ford Ranger. I'll have to ask the hubby if he remembers, but not at 5:30 am.

Okay, he's awake: a Toyota truck.

Last edited:
We don't get too many Nissans for transmission repair. We get a few Toyota trucks as folks like to think the truck can pull a 40 foot travel trailer through the Blue Ridge Mountains. This particular truck belongs to an old family friend who was going through a financial/health crisis and needed transportation to get to proper medical care. And with typical redneck generosity the hubby took this fellas old truck and gave it an overhaul to help him out. I was surprised to find mud dauber's nest of that size on an automobile.

Back
Top Bottom