what is up? why won't they lay?

notducky

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 14, 2014
I got 4 americaunas a month ago. A little over a year old and still laying. They came from an all girls coop into mine with a hump happy roo, so I've been patiently waiting thinking this is a huge change for them. But it's been a month now and nothing. Only one of them had even investigated the laying boxes. What gives?

Welcome!
frow.gif
Chickens dislike change. They have come to a new home with a horny rooster and a new flock master. I'm afraid you are going to have to be very patient with them.
Personally, I would remove the roo temporarily if that's possible and let them deal with the new surroundings and get comfortable. It may be that he is bothering them more than you think.
Good luck,

Boskelli is right.4 weeks is not enough for birds to adjust themselves.They may be going threw their laying cycle still.Is the rooster being rude or selfish?

In addition to the change, many chickens slow their laying down once it gets cold. Just be patient. You may not like hearing this but you may have to wait until spring for a good clutch of eggs waiting on you when you go out to check on them for the day.

I was wondering why I am only getting a couple of eggs a day now that they are cooped up and weather is colder.

Is that normal?

He's a very rude roo. We're considering getting rid of him bc he seems to upset all of the birds. I have 3 other roos all well mannered, they eat out of my hand. I'm hoping they stay polite once the rapist is gone.

Today the girls are in and out of the nesting boxes, fluffing up nests and cooing a lot. Hopefully this means they are thinking about laying soon. Should I shut the 4 girls into the coop alone for a couple of hoursoso they have some privacy?

Today the girls are in and out of the nesting boxes, fluffing up nests and cooing a lot. Hopefully this means they are thinking about laying soon. Should I shut the 4 girls into the coop alone for a couple of hoursoso they have some privacy?

As long as they aren't being bothered by the roo, I would let them be. They will get themselves sorted out soon, patience, patience!
hmm.png

He's a very rude roo. We're considering getting rid of him bc he seems to upset all of the birds. I have 3 other roos all well mannered, they eat out of my hand. I'm hoping they stay polite once the rapist is gone.
That is a problem.I would SO replace him.He can cause stress.I strongly doubt on giving him away.If your hens decide they wanna get mean,he can do a some fixing upping.And actually with ladies in town,it may cause a bit attitude.Roosters when around hens have Struts to their Strides.Which means bad attitude, more bossiness, a lot more fighting,and probably will stand and fly as they crow.Roosters get stupider whenever you bring nice young ladies around.

Back
Top Bottom