What is wrong w my lead chicken?

BonnieFierce

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
E3F9898B-7861-4830-BAED-81CF13613263.jpeg
691FF830-F1C5-43AE-8E95-CC2E2DB74881.jpeg
this is my leader of the pack but lately she seems very tired and blinks slowly... she is still eating and drinking but I know she is not acting herself. Any ideas?? I’ve checked for mites. Her vent looks fine. Her crop doesn’t feel hard. But I’m so worried ;(

How old is she? Does she lay eggs? Is she showing any signs of starting a molt? Many hens can have reproductive disorders, such as internal layer, salpingitis, or egg yolk peritonitis. Can you examine her lower belly for enlargement or tightness that might be fluid inside the abdomen? I would mix up a small amount of very wet chicken feed, and offer that, some cooked chopped egg, tuna, or her favorite food. Add some crushed human vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily or some chick vitamins.

Thank you so much!! She is 1.5 years old. It appears she is still laying. Her poop looks a bit yellow and runny. Belly feels fine. Yesterday I went out to check on her and she was the only chicken in the coop. I was so afraid I would find her dead. Her comb looks faded and is not near as red as the others. Yesterday I gave her some water from a dropper and she are a few bits of green but not much. I will give her some crushed up food tonight w b vita like u suggested. Thank you! I just feel so helpless!! My poor little girl. She was the fiercest baby chick when I got her, who grew up to be the leader of my 6 chicken flock. I really hope she pulls thru

Poop pictures are welcome here, and sometimes may give clues. How does her crop feel? Is it empty or full, soft, firm, or puffy first thing in the morning? A pale comb can be a sign that they are not laying, and some chickens will start to molt during late summer months. The first big molt occurs around 18 months of age, and my hens are less energetic during that time. I hope she pulls through as well.

maybe coccidiosis? Try CORID in the water for 7 days. Does she have access to clean water? Is she drinking from containers like you have in the photo?

maybe coccidiosis? Try CORID in the water for 7 days. Does she have access to clean water? Is she drinking from containers like you have in the photo?
She is drinking some but not much. I’ve been using a dropper. And not those containers in the pic were empty at the time. Those are just my extras that were sitting out side of the pen as I had her sitting out. Should I do CORID if I’ve already put apple cider vinegar in the water?

Poop pictures are welcome here, and sometimes may give clues. How does her crop feel? Is it empty or full, soft, firm, or puffy first thing in the morning? A pale comb can be a sign that they are not laying, and some chickens will start to molt during late summer months. The first big molt occurs around 18 months of age, and my hens are less energetic during that time. I hope she pulls through as well.
It’s turned to runny wet yellow diarrhea

Attachments

• 1CC6A215-36A6-4062-A3AF-218C2E8FDFD4.jpeg
    1CC6A215-36A6-4062-A3AF-218C2E8FDFD4.jpeg
    583 KB · Views: 17
I am having a similar problem with my 1 yr old rir, she is eating, not laying for two weeks. She moves slower than normal at times. I saw her sleeping mid day the other day. It’s been in the 80s and 90s here thinking it’s the heat. Following this to see what to do.

Back
Top Bottom