What is wrong with my chicken

CrispFire

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 9, 2014

It is like her insides are coming our. There is no egg there. The other chickens are pecking at her. She keeps pushing but no egg just more of her insides?

Hi

I'm no expert but it looks like a prolapsed vent? I found an article below which has home treatment. There may be additional information or advice on another forum here on the website if you search?

Treatment: If you see portions of your hen’s cloaca protruding through her vent, please be sure to separate her, as she may be a target of pecking/cannibalization. Withhold feed--at least temporarily. While this sounds cruel, withholding feed for a day or two can cause a break in laying for your hen which can give her stressed vent/reproductive tract a much-needed break. If you do withhold feed, it can be a good idea to provide a vitamin supplement in her water in case the problem is caused or exacerbated by a nutritional deficiency. You can don a latex or non-latex glove, and lubricate with petroleum jelly or an antibiotic ointment (be sure the ointment does not contain painkillers ending in -caine--they are not good for chickens). Use a finger to gently push the protrusion back inside the vent. Preparation H can help a small prolapse. If the prolapse has been pecked or “picked out,” it’s best to consult a vet. Do not treat the pain from a picked vent with an aspirin solution, either: that can thin the blood and cause additional bleeding. Consult a vet if you think your hen needs treatment for pain.

Back
Top Bottom