What is wrong with my female pekin duck?

Miss Cheep

Songster
Aug 6, 2021
WA state
Hi! I have a female pekin duck, she was getting mates too much so we separated her from the flock. She’s been separated for a week or so now, and is panting a lot while laying down or after she gets up and walks for a little. It’s been about 70 degrees this week. I attached a video below of her panting. Is she sick or something? Thanks!

She has not layed an egg since we have put her in the enclosure, and she is 2 years and 6 months old. She is fed all flock feed. She doesn’t have open wounds on her neck, but has a scab on her back from the mating.

She has not layed an egg since we have put her in the enclosure, and she is 2 years and 6 months old. She is fed all flock feed. She doesn’t have open wounds on her neck, but has a scab on her back from the mating.
I would check her for an egg.
It’s possible she is egg bound
Tail going up and down and heavy breathing can be signs of egg issues but can also be if they are in pain or to hot
So we check everything to rule things out
I would use some kinds of ointment on the scabs as well just to make sure they don’t end up infected

I would check her for an egg.
It’s possible she is egg bound
Tail going up and down and heavy breathing can be signs of egg issues but can also be if they are in pain or to hot
So we check everything to rule things out
I would use some kinds of ointment on the scabs as well just to make sure they don’t end up infected
How do I check if she is egg bound?

How do I check if she is egg bound?
You can feel her abdomen. I would NOT go poking up her vent I did that once with a khaki campbell and she died the next day .
You can give her the Calcium Gluconate anyway it will not hurt her to have it even if she does not need it. It's a liquid they sell it at tractor supply and you give 1ml with a syringe (no needle on it) down the right side of her throat. NOT the middle that is her air tube. If you havent ever given a duck meds by syringe I would look up a video of someone showing how to do it or a diagram . probably somewhere on this site but I sometimes have trouble finding things here. If you cant get calcium Gluconate you can give her a tums , yes, a tums lol Ive never given a tums to a duck yes so Im not exactly sure how I would do it but I heard it does the job. you may have to give the calcium 1ml a day for a few days. It helps her get the egg out

Back
Top Bottom