What is wrong with our younger generation?

Quote:
This.

I agree that you should have received a formal written thank you note in addition to any verbal or passed on "thanks".

When my wife and I got married my mother prepared a list of her friends "that owed her" and insisted that we send a notice (invitation) to them to get a present out of the deal. This one old lady didn't give us a present and then complained all over town that we didn't send her a thank you note.

Quote:
You are correct Chickie! But you and other teens on this forum are in the minority I'm afraid. Keep up the good work!
hugs.gif

Yes, you are right about them unfortunatly.

I'm not great about writing thank-you notes like I was taught when I was young. However, I would at least write an email or call to say thank you.

The same values are not taught these days. Not many seem to take the time to really communicate with or listen to or teach the kids.
Perhaps it is partially societies fault since we live in such a fast paced world and every moment of most parents day is spent rushing to work, rushing to the daycare, rushing to make dinner, rushing to clean up, rushing to all the sports they put the kids in since they feel guilty for not spending time with them, rushing to the store to buy the kid the latest and greatest whatever they want, rushing through bedtime routines. All so the parents can feel like they gave their kids what they did not have.

WOW just typing all that I got pooped.

Kind of parental non-involvement, kids raising themselves these days thing.

Quote:
I don't give quilts to my family, no matter the age, because they're not appreciated. The exception is my 35 yr old niece, who has expressed elation at having a handmade quilt from her Aunt Cynthia and I know will treasure it. Other than that, I swore no one else in the family would ever get a quilt from me, not after they just disappeared with no mention, no use, nothing. And, just ask some here on BYC who have received my quilts. They're not in the junk category. Those now go only to ones who I know will appreciate them. I can buy gifts that cause my hands and eyes less pain and don't take months to complete and I can be done with it.

My parents made me write thank you notes every time I received a gift. I don't expect written notes, but some real appreciation would be nice, a phone call, something. I'm just not sure it's necessarily a generational thing entirely. Rude folks come in all ages.

Back
Top Bottom