What is wrong with Pebbles' feathers?

VT Chick-lit

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 7, 2008
An Island In Lake Champlain VT
I got Pebbles and her hatchmate Roxy in May. At that time they were 2 years old. I was told both girls had laid eggs all winter but this spring Pebbles had stopped laying for some unknown reason. She was not laying at the time I got her.

10040_pebbles_roxy_2.jpg

I noticed early on that she had quite a few broken feathers at the base of her tail and she had a bald spot on her breast of about 2 inches in diameter. I dusted her for mites (didn't see any on her but did it just in case). This does not seem to be the problem.

10040_pebbles3.jpg

She still has the broken feathers at the base of her tail and her "fluffy butt" is definitely less fluffy.

10040_pebbles1.jpg

She is looking kind of rough around the edges. If she was human I would say she was having a bad hair day! Could she be moulting for this long a time? (Still no eggs.) If not, what other things could cause this? If this is an exceptionally long moult, how do I speed things up? I have no rooster, does this matter?

10040_pebbles4.jpg

I do have pictures that I am trying to figure out how to attach to this post.

Last edited:
When birds molt (sp) you can give them some extra protein to help it along. Feather loss can also be a sign of not enough protein in the diet.
Maybe you could just give her a little extra protein each day and a small amt of bird vitamins and plenty of fresh water and that might help.
smile.png

eta: I see the pictures now. Well she looks pretty healthy and well fed to me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom