What is wrong with the drake??

Heatherschicks1

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 18, 2014
I have a rouen drakes that is just over a year maybe close to 2... and I have noticed over the past 2 weeks he is loosing the green on his head..m it's started saddle around his mouth then today I realize almost all of the green is gone... he doesent look like he is molting his feather color has changed... any ideas??

My WH drake did this the first year and I kind of freaked out. He was beautiful and then he was a mess. I asked around on here and everyone guessed that it was just a molt.

Well, 2 years later he continues to do this every summer. He's beautiful by spring again. Green head, dark body. By mid summer he's losing his green head and his body starts turning white and brown blotchy. At least now I know he'll be back looking great again by mid/late winter!! Lol

It is called eclipse

http://flyways.us/duck-identification-resources/eclipse-plumage

"Most ducks shed their body feathers twice each year. Nearly all drakes lose their bright plumage after mating, and for a few weeks resemble females. This hen-like appearance is called the eclipse plumage. The return to breeding coloration varies in species and individuals of each species. Blue-winged teal and shovelers may retain the eclipse plumage until well into the winter.
Wing feathers are shed only once a year; wing colors are always the same."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom