What is wrong with this egg, and my hen?

Djgm

Songster
May 9, 2020
Northern NJ
My cream legbar Jasmin is 10 months. Saturday, she had droopy wings, head down, not going for morning treats with the rest of the flock. Put her right into ICU, and she laid a soft shell. I have been giving her a calcium supplement since then. 2 days ago she laid a regular egg. Tonight, just before I put them away for the night, she was out there, head down, tail down, eyes half open. I brought her in & gave her a soak, and after she just kept trying to push something out. Her poop was clear and watery, and what was solid in it looked normal. I put her back into the ICU, and about 15 minutes later she laid this deformity (pics attached). It was gummy in texture feeling, yet, crumbly and hard, if that makes sense. You can see the crumbles on the gloves I’m wearing. When I pulled it open to see what was in it, there was the usual clear albumen, and this white stuff that didn’t look completely normal. I’ve circled it, as well as adjusted to black and white and zoomed in (since I opened it on a white paper towel, it was kinda hard to see). Any ideas? What else can I do?

Attachments

• egg.jpg
    egg.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 14
  • egg open.jpg
    egg open.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 6
  • egg zoomed.jpg
    egg zoomed.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 6
  • egg circled.jpg
    egg circled.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 6
Did she perk up after passing that?

It almost looks like a lot of calcium. Would it be crumbly like a calcium coating? Can you tell if there's a membrane (shell) in there too - maybe the "gummy" part was the membrane?
This sounds stupid, but what color are her eggs? There's so many different colors out there now...

Sorry for the jumbled thoughts, things come to me as typing sometimes...the white you have circled, is it stringy? Possibly the Chalazae like you see in a normal egg.

I'd work on hydration. The Calcium is ok to give for another few days. If she's really struggling, then electrolytes or vitamins would be good to give.
If she's not perking up, then an oral antibiotic may be needed. It's a bit strange, but doesn't look like Salpingitis to me.

She's a blue layer, and the egg looks color wise, what would almost be normal for her. The membrane was in there as well, and it didn't have any smell to it. It's possible that was what made it gummy feeling. She did keep trying to push after she passed that for a bit, but it was getting dark here, since she's in my garage in the ICU, I kept her with the lights out. I did have a camera on her, and she did seem to perk up after about an hour or so, her tail went back up and I noticed she stopped pushing. Don't know if it was lack of light, or she was feeling better. She weights 3.56 lbs, so is 1 full calcium pill too much for her maybe?

How is she this morning?
Poops from overnight? Photos?

If she's up moving, eating/drinking then I'd think about getting her back with the flock and see how she does.
1 Calcium pill daily for a few days is fine.

How is she this morning?
Poops from overnight? Photos?

If she's up moving, eating/drinking then I'd think about getting her back with the flock and see how she does.
1 Calcium pill daily for a few days is fine.
She's seeming fine this am! Poop over night looked normal, I did put her back with the flock and she went right to the food and water. Luckily I work from home, so I'll keep checking on her to make sure she'd doing ok in there. She's never used the nesting boxes, she has always laid in the corner of the coop (weirdo) and she went right for her usual corner. Watching my coop cam now, and she looks like she's making her usual nest there. Thanks so much!

I'm glad she's better today.
It may have just been one of those glitchy once in a lifetime things...let's hope anyway.

LOL I didn't even need nesting boxes it seems, they are never used. Corners it is...I have one of those grabber things to collect eggs:D

I'm glad she's better today.
It may have just been one of those glitchy once in a lifetime things...let's hope anyway.

LOL I didn't even need nesting boxes it seems, they are never used. Corners it is...I have one of those grabber things to collect eggs:D
What do you mean “grabber things to collect eggs” 🤔 what is this you speak of?

Back
Top Bottom