What is your favorite chicken color/pattern

What is your favorite color/pattern?

• Total voters
I’m probably the boring odd man out, but I prefer solid colors, reds, black, buff. Barred is about as far into color patterns as like.
Clean legged, single combs.
That’s how my flock started out. My buff Orpington and black jersey giant are my favorite birds they are so simple and sweet!

My favs would be blue/gold, blue/silver, lavender/gold, lavender/silver, white/red and in any pattern except barred.

If we could get a mutation where you can have black with lavender in the silver parts that might top my charts. But that's a long shot.

My favorites are Khaki, Chocolate, Dun, Wheaten, and Duckwing. While I do not prefer Barred myself, my favorite color and pattern type is Crele, which is a subtype of Barred, so I chose that option as well.

If it was an option, I would have chosen Wildtype. I love any Wildtype color on a chicken.

My favs would be blue/gold, blue/silver, lavender/gold, lavender/silver, white/red and in any pattern except barred.

If we could get a mutation where you can have black with lavender in the silver parts that might top my charts. But that's a long shot.

Unfortunately, lavender is a dilution of black, so there's no way to have both on the same bird short of some sort of chimerism occurring, in which case it wouldn't be a heritable pattern anyway. :hmm

My favorites are Khaki, Chocolate, Dun, Wheaten, and Duckwing. While I do not prefer Barred myself, my favorite color and pattern type is Crele, which is a subtype of Barred, so I chose that option as well.

If it was an option, I would have chosen Wildtype. I love any Wildtype color on a chicken.

Gold duckwing is the wildtype pattern for chickens, for the record. ;)

Is Gold Duckwing the Wildtype pattern for all chickens with that color variety? Thank you for telling me, though, I noticed a similarity but never knew that! :)

Wildtype refers to the set of genes that would occur in the wild population of a species. In the case of chickens, their wild ancestors are the junglefowl of southeast Asia, with the majority of their genetics originating from the Red Junglefowl whose plumage pattern is what we refer to in the poultry fancy as gold duckwing. Regardless of whether a breed is standardized with a gold duckwing variety or not, that is the wildtype plumage pattern of the species as a whole.

Silver quail: the females are soft, intricate, and lovely, the males spectacular (also regular quail.)
7E2AFB81-D30E-47D2-B4DA-250A257DAB37.jpeg

And blue wheaten for the contrast of “blue” and orange on the males and the creamy coloring on females.
I also love Sicilian buttercups.
I guess I like the colors where the males and females are their best.

Back
Top Bottom