What is your favorite way to prepare a whole chicken?

Yum! Those all sound good. Those of you who bake, do you do low and slow or a higher heat and shorter time?
We usually use a higher temp, I think 400 degrees. We also like to use a little trick we learned from watching Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat on Netflix. We will marinate a whole chicken in buttermilk for 24 hours. This produces a very moist chicken. We use a 2.5 gallon Ziploc bag, add chicken and buttermilk then set the bag in a bowl or something in case it leaks. Of course, it goes into the fridge after that. We usually like to pull the chicken out 2 hours before we plan on cooking it then rinse it and pat dry. It helps to cook more evenly if the chicken is close to room temp before starting to cook it. Tip, the back of the oven is normally hotter so set the chicken with the thighs at the rear of the oven as they need a little more cooking than the breast.

Last edited:
We usually use a higher temp, I think 400 degrees. We also like to use a little trick we learned from watching Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat on Netflix. We will marinate a whole chicken in buttermilk for 24 hours. This produces a very moist chicken. We use a 2.5 gallon Ziploc bag, add chicken and buttermilk then set the bag in a bowl or something in case it leaks. Of course, it goes into the fridge after that. We usually like to pull the chicken out 2 hours before we plan on cooking it then rinse it and pat dry. It helps to cook more evenly if the chicken is close to room temp before starting to cook it. Tip, the back of the oven is normally hotter so set the chicken with the thighs at the rear of the oven as they need a little more cooking than the breast.
Thanks for the tips! I'll have to try the buttermilk. So you rinse and pat dry after marinating, but do you season the meat again before putting it in the oven as well?

Agree with soaking in buttermilk. But, a brine can work too. Lots of brine recipes for turkeys -from plain to flavored/spiced. Yes, you can season after soak in buttermilk or brine. I usually only use buttermilk when I’m doing homemade breaded chicken nuggets or other breaded item, but have occasionally used it on chicken I’ll cook a different way.

Whole chicken-you should tie it to keep legs, so the chicken cooks more evenly.

Yes, take it out of fridge a couple hours ahead of cooking.

For turkeys, I’ve followed the advice to roast breast side down for early part of the cook, then turn each side for 15 min each, then last is breast side up for remainder. It works well to preserve the juiciness of breast. But chicken isn’t quite as large, so if you roast breast side down to begin then Just turn over to breast side up.

My air fryer has a rotisserie attachment and can turn, but instructions state 4-4.5 lbs is max bird to use with rotisserie, so an 8 week CX is likely too large. But, I bet it’s an easy way to get crispy skin!

Tested out the buttermilk marinade last night on a couple of chicken thighs... delicious! Only had time to soak it for maybe an hour. I pat them dry, added a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to the skin. I baked them and the skin got pretty crispy. I wasn't sure if I'd still be able to taste the buttermilk but I really could. Very good! I'd like to try this with a whole bird sometime.

We like it simple. Crock pot or over a fire pit. Just salt and pepper for the most part.

Old camping pic of the family.

Attachments

• 0501211918~01.jpg
    0501211918~01.jpg
    867.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom