What just eats head / neck?

I am so sorry for your loss.
I hope the you determine the predator.
For trail cameras, I find that the cheap ones work just fine for what I need. Some come in packs of 2.

Raccoons usually remove the head completely (and maybe some neck, too?) so may be a hawk. They usually hold the head in one talon while eating. (Yes, I've seen this. Awful but informative.)

Totally a raccoon or opossum. We used to have them near our house and one of our hens couldn't get up on the roost one night and died in a very similar way.

Last edited:
I don't see how a camera will stop predators. It's always suggested but doesn't do anything.

The OP's bird was not taken by a hawk. Raccoon or Opossum are the likely culprits. A camera won't stop them, a run with top or electric wire would.

I don't see how a camera will stop predators. It's always suggested but doesn't do anything.

The OP's bird was not taken by a hawk. Raccoon or Opossum are the likely culprits. A camera won't stop them, a run with top or electric wire would.
Yes, yes it would. Also, after they started to stop attacking our chickens we set out traps, and actually caught a raccoon! It kinda growled at me and tried to eat my hand. My dad took it to an island near his work and let it go there instead.

Back
Top Bottom