what killed my chickens

DarthLayer

Songster
6 Years
Jun 1, 2013
Indiana
A young roo and two hens were killed and one severely injured. These attacks happened every one and half weeks to every two weeks. The roo was killed and everything was eaten just bones and feathers left. The next one was barely eaten with a hole in her. The next one looked like the rooster. The severely injured one had a back injury and you could see muscle and tendons but she died in surgery and the vwt said it looked like a bone was missing. I think it mihht be a weasel but I qant everyone else's opinion.

Here's fur that I found on the fence caught

Was there a liver left where the chickens were killed if so I'm almost 100% sure it's a bobcat. Is it a soft hair or is it wire like hair? What kind of teeth marks were they. Are they large or small are they deep or shallow are they a wide U or more narrower bite?

I agree with redsoxs the hair looks like raccoon but I know that a fox will sometimes eat there meal were they killed it.

My bet is raccoon.  Don't think a weasel would leave fur behind or eat a whole bird.  And a fox or coyote would carry off his catch.  Hope you catch whatever it is!

Well that's a relief to know its not weasel because I hear they are sneaky.

Was there a liver left where the chickens were killed if so I'm almost 100% sure it's a bobcat. Is it a soft hair or is it wire like hair? What kind of teeth marks were they. Are they large or small are they deep or shallow are they a wide U or more narrower bite?

The liver was eaten, the fur felt soft and I don't remember seeing teeth marks but the barred rock with the hole in her the hole was as big as the bottom of a water bottle and it was almost a circular hole

if you want to know 100 percent sure take some bait, like fish, marshmellows, or even stake down a small cage and put on of your chickens into it. be sure nothong can get into this cage though. then set a game cam where it can see the bait. but be sure to do this more than once even if you see what you think it is. there is more than one species around that would love to eat chicken!

Back
Top Bottom