What killed my hens and left them behind?

katepaws

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 2, 2014
Something came into my garden and killed all 6 of my hens and left their bodies. My garden is secure with 5 foot fences, so what ever got them had to be able to get over it. I live in Ireland, so it had to be a predator that lives here. Some of their heads were missing and there were feathers every where. Some of them had gone back to the coop after they were injured and must have died of the injuries. They didn't look like any of their bodies had been eaten. :(

If it was able to get under the fence, and you have them in your area...my best guess would be a mink or type of weasel. They go after the blood rather than the body. So sorry to hear about your flock :(

Thanks klohman. I have no idea what wildlife we have to be honest as I've never see any around. I live in the town but we have a river and fields about 50 meters away from where their coops is. I found a ferret once in our garden but that turned out to be someones pet. I also don't think that there is any way of them getting under the fence, but I suppose it could be possible.

Back
Top Bottom