What kind of a pressure cooker do you use for summer canning?

I too inherited a canner and have used it for years. Finally had to replace the gasket, which my local hardware store could order for me. Just wanted to let you know, too, that you can get free canning booklets at your county agents office. They pretty much cover all basics and even have a few recipes in them.
smile.png

I came across what i thought was a good deal at Meijer last month..it was a pressure cooker $50 marked down to $22...at the time i wondered if it was the same as a pressure canner, and now know the difference! Thanks guys. So you can use it the exact same way, just in smaller quantities? I thought it was a baby sized model, LOL. I've done regular canning, but never pressurized.

Last night I finally ate some of the asparagus that I'd canned last spring - the first thing I ever pressure canned. I didn't know at the time that putting all 3 weights on the guage made the internal pressure be 15 (10 is recommended at sea level, where I am).

The asparagus was mushy. But, after 10 months, still edible. I'll definitely do more asparagus.

As for the other 2 jars of asparagus, I think those will get pureed into a soup in the near future!

Back
Top Bottom