what kind of bedding/litter to use in coop?

ChickenMommy

Songster
12 Years
Mar 9, 2007
North East Texas
What should I use in the coop on the floor? Currently I am using pine pellets and straw. How often do I need to clean it out and/or add more? I am new to this any advice would be most apprecieated!

if you really want to bed your henhouse.go to your local feedstore an get those big baggs of shavings.they cost $4 a bagg.

Shavings make a good bedding. It good to clean out the coop about once every 2 months. Just add shavings as needed.

Last edited:
I've read that some people use a product called "dry stall" or another called "sweet pdz" under the shavings to keep down moisture and smell.

Quote:
do you not bed yours? I didnt know it was an option. what do you do?

You don't have to put anything on the floor. Bedding makes it easier to clean, and gives them something to dust/scratch in.

how often do you clean it out?
Do you clean everything out and start with all fresh stuff?
I have heard people doing deep litter method...how does this work?

Quote:
I clean mine pen out about once every 2 months.

Quote:
Yes, That is the best and easiest way. IMO

Quote:
You start out with a few inches of shavings and add as needed till it gets very thick. You have to "fluff" the shavings to keep them from forming a concrete mass. As it composts, It keeps the chickens warm during the winter. You normally clean out the coop twice a year.

Last edited:
There is not set cleaning schedule, it all depends on how many birds you have and how quickly they dirty it. I have heard of people cleaning their coop only once a year, but I find it better to clean frequently as to avoid disease and parasites. I have 8 chickens in a 12X5 coop and I clean about once a month. I use pine shavings and add some hay/straw in the winter. I dont clean that much in the winter, I like the bedding to pile up so it keeps the floor insulated.

We use anything dry and available. Pine shavings as a base, paper shreds from junk mail, dry leaves in the fall, any leftover hay or straw, even pine needles will work. Almost anything thats dry can go in. Good luck,

Chris

Back
Top Bottom