What kind of bunny this is

That, I can't tell you. Even if I were there, I would be guessing. They grow fast.
Exactly my point. Y'all are offering opinions based on almost no information. If that rabbit is more than, say, 5 - 6 weeks old, it can't be a CG, because it would already be a lot larger than a Lionhead.

Checkered Giants are pretty unusual rabbits, and a fairly rare breed. The odds are, if a person had a Checkered Giant, they'd know it, because they went to a breeder to get it.

Incidentally, I could probably produce a rabbit that looked exactly like that by crossing a Mini Rex and a Holland Lop.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Been to lots of rabbit shows. Raised lots of rabbits Never heard that Checkard Giants are rare. Lots of folks breed them. Go to ARBA web page. Look at pictures. Get address of breeders. Or find your local rabbit club and contact members go look at them at shows. You might find some at your local state fare.

I have been breeding rabbits for 30 years. I have been to lots of shows all over the state. I have seen Checkered Giants only a couple of times (and I can remember hearing a lot of "what the heck is that?" reactions the first time I saw them). As near as I can tell, only about a hundred people took one or more Checkered Giants to a sanctioned show in this country during the last year - that doesn't sound very common to me

Large, fancy breeds seldom have much of a following. Not many people want a large rabbit as a pet, and the type doesn't lend itself to meat production. When people think "big," they more often go for the Flemish, which has more potential for meat production. When you add the difficulty of it being a "marked" breed, it discourages interest even more, because a large percentage will be ruled out for show purposes simply because the markings aren't right. I'm really surprised that the Checkered Giant hasn't made the "rare breeds" list; I can't believe it's far off.

Last edited:
Checkered Giants were at virtually every show I went to. I showed for years also. We traveled to a few states, for nationals and such, and there were always Checkard Giants. I toyed with the idea of raising them for a while. Anyway, I thought the original question was "what kind of rabbit it was." That and the Lionhead, which were just coming onto the scene when I stopped breeding rabbits. I know the Checkered Giants were never ment for meat. They were ment for show. I used to love watching them being judged. Liked the way they moved around. Very cool rabbits, but a handful. Not sure where you are located, but on the West coast, they are not rare by any stretch.

I thinks she/he about 4 months old. I have pics of the mom Theses belong too a friend and I was helping them to rehome a few and the man who took this bunny returned it less then 12 hours later. He call me telling me that when he checked on it that morning it didn't look to good so I offer to take it back and refund the money he said no he wanted to take it to the vet and wanted me pay the bill I asked him what happened because it was fine when he took it home he said he didn't know he went on to say he had the bunny with other bunny he had gotten of CL then he said he was going to wait it out. About 25 minutes later he calls back wanting to return the bunny and he had deal for me? Now iam thinking now what so I had my neighbor come over while he was there because I didn't trust him. He drops off the bunny and its head is tilted sideways and the eye is rolling upwards now he is asking if he can have the mom instead I told him NO and gave back his money. I just couldn't believe it the nerve. He keep calling me asking for them mom I don't know what he was intended to do with her ? I had to block his number from my phone. The rabbit is fine now I just fell so bad for it and angry at myself for selling it to him ok that's the back story to this cutie pie

Here are some pics I took tonight

The mom

I think the dad

Last edited:
Yeah, I was thinking that it looked young, but not very young, like it hadn't far to go to reach its adult size.

Your rabbit is a cute little mutt. It might be the result of only a two-way mix like Mini Rex and Holland Lop, or it could be a blend of several small breeds. But I think we can pretty safely eliminate Checkered Giant as being a participant in that particular gene pool.

@Weehopper - what you said reinforces what I was saying. There are lots of folks that breed meat-type rabbits and mix 'em up or keep them purebreds but may not even know there are such things as rabbit shows. And there are lots of folks who breed smaller rabbits with an eye toward selling as pets, who have no interest in showing. Either of these groups might be selling at a flea market or auction or something where you might not be sure about what you were getting. But since the Checkered Giant doesn't fit either of those categories, it's pretty unlikely that someone who isn't at least somewhat interested in showing would even have one, and if they did, they most likely had to go looking for a breeder to find it, so they would know what they had. I suppose you could turn one up in a rescue, but that would probably be a mature animal.

@silly4buttons What you are describing might have been a head injury, but it sounds an awful lot like an episode of wry neck.

https://barbibrownsbunnies.com/wryneck/

Some rabbits die from this condition, some don't recover, and some seem to recover completely. However, if a rabbit has done this once, any time it experiences a stress, it can happen again. I strongly advise you to start your rabbits on a prevention program,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom