What kind of chicks are these? New chick questions

Feedingfour

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 16, 2013
Pa
My nephew got chicks for his birthday but they live in a townhouse and have no where to put them. So hubby said we would take them. There about the same age as my chicks, can I put them in the brooder with my babies? Also, anyone have any idea what breed they are?

The black chick may be a barred Rock--does it have a white spot on it's head? If yes, that's the breed. Can't help with the other one yet, sorry.

I've mixed chicks up to 4 weeks apart in age in the same brooder, so you should be fine to put them together.

Ugh. Who buys chicks for a kid's birthday when he has nowhere for them to live?! :he

As for the "breed", it helps to know where they came from. If they were from, say, Tractor Supply, I'd guess "red pullet" and (I hope) "black pullet" which are both hybrid production layers. But, it could be a buff Orpington and a barred rock with a coin flip on gender. Can't tell yet.

The black chick may be a barred Rock--does it have a white spot on it's head? If yes, that's the breed. Can't help with the other one yet, sorry. 

I've mixed chicks up to 4 weeks apart in age in the same brooder, so you should be fine to put them together. 

That's what I said when he first got it. Yes it does have a white spot. We have 3 other barred rocks so I figured that one. The "blonde" as she called it stumps me as well.
Thanks!

Ugh. Who buys chicks for a kid's birthday when he has nowhere for them to live?! :he

As for the "breed", it helps to know where they came from. If they were from, say, Tractor Supply, I'd guess "red pullet" and (I hope) "black pullet" which are both hybrid production layers. But, it could be a buff Orpington and a barred rock with a coin flip on gender. Can't tell yet.

I know!! I said the same thing! They bought one from some feed store then the other one a few days later from some other feed store. They had NOTHING at all when they even bought the chicks. I was not very happy. Anyway. They'll be in a much better home soon enough
1f60a.png
I'm hoping they're pullets. Hubby will make chicken soup if they're not. Thanks!

Sounds like an impulse purchase by folks who consider chicks to be disposable toys. :hit

I hope you'll update when they feather in. Lucky chicks to find their way to a good home.

They're being "delivered" today! Lol I'm excited!
263a.png
And he said they are both girls so I'm hoping he's right.

Back
Top Bottom