What kind of dog would be good for me and my chickens?

JuliaSunshine

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
West coast Canada
I want to keep free ranging my chickens but it's so hard because we have lots of eagles, owls and ravens on the top of minks around here.
I just lost a mother hen of 2-week-old chicks. It was due to my stupid mistake and I'm so upset and sad.
I've been wanting to get a dog for my chickens and maybe I should be more proactive about it now.

So what kind of dog would be good?
I want a small to medium size dog that will chase away arial predators and minks (no big four-legged predators on the island I'm living on) as well as keep me safe during my walk in the forest. As I live in a remote area, I don't go out for a walk alone because I don't want to run into strangers alone in the forest. If I have a dog to bring with me, I'd feel safer walking alone.

I'm not keen on LGD as they tend to be too big and I think it's an overkill for my small flock of chickens. Also I want my dog to be protective of me too.

There are ausie shepherd and Labradoodle mix pups coming up for adoption in a few months at a rescue place but I don't like having to brush them daily as they're going to need it.

Any ideas about what kind of dog would be good for me and my chickens?
Am I wanting two different things from one dog?
Should I get one dog for me and one for chickens separately?

Last edited:
I want to keep free ranging my chickens but it's so hard because we have lots of eagles, owls and ravens on the top of minks around here.
I just lost a mother hen of 2-week-old chicks. It was due to my stupid mistake and I'm so upset and sad.
I've been wanting to get a dog for my chickens and maybe I should be more proactive about it now.

So what kind of dog would be good?
I want a small to medium size dog that will chase away arial predators and minks (no big four-legged predators on the island I'm living on) as well as keep me safe during my walk in the forest. As I live in a remote area, I don't go out for a walk alone because I don't want to run into strangers alone in the forest. If I have a dog to bring with me, I'd feel safer walking alone.

I'm not keen on LGD as they tend to be too big and I think it's an overkill for my small flock of chickens. Also I want my dog to be protective of me too.

There are ausie shepherd and Labradoodle mix pups coming up for adoption in a few months at a rescue place but I don't like having to brush them daily as they're going to need it.

Any ideas about what kind of dog would be good for me and my chickens?
Am I wanting two different things from one dog?
Should I get one dog for me and one for chickens separately?
Labordoodles are a disaster, and remember, they're a cross of two hunting breeds.
Any dog you get will need training and be extra work. There's no free lunch!
But, to answer your question, the Australian Shepherd fills your stated requirements.

Attachments

• 20201102_154817.jpg
    20201102_154817.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 16
I agree a well bred Australian Shepherd could potentially preform both duties for you. Although a dog that size would be of limited usefulness against a human, if push came to shove.

As mentioned above any dog with the necessary prey drive to protect is going to need training to be good around your chickens. Extra training will most likely be needed for the dog to ward off birds of prey and some dogs will get it while others never do. They are not really natural enemies/ competition.

Also, one dog cannot be expected to oversee free range birds at all times. Two or more is better, but even then you could possibly still have losses, as some predators can be very sneaky. You don't have any foxes where you are?

I also second that you do not want a labradoodle or any other kind of doodle for that matter. The chance of getting a well bred one is slim to none and their coat is atrocious.

I agree a well bred Australian Shepherd could potentially preform both duties for you. Although a dog that size would be of limited usefulness against a human, if push came to shove.
Not true!
My wife's Aussie saved her from a mugging late one night on the college campus.
According to the ASCA, males should weigh between 55 and 65 pounds.

Extra training will most likely be needed for the dog to ward off birds of prey and some dogs will get it while others never do.
Aussies recognize eagles as predators, and most likely will see them before you do. They also recognize their smell, so if they're perched on the roof or a nearby tree, your Aussie will go on alert.

Labordoodles are a disaster, and remember, they're a cross of two hunting breeds.
Any dog you get will need training and be extra work. There's no free lunch!
But, to answer your question, the Australian Shepherd fills your stated requirements.
I've been interested in the Australian Shepherd. Thank you.
My neighbors have landforms Labradoodles and they're very excited. I'll be careful not to have them come near my chickens.

As mentioned above any dog with the necessary prey drive to protect is going to need training to be good around your chickens. Extra training will most likely be needed for the dog to ward off birds of prey and some dogs will get it while others never do. They are not really natural enemies/ competition.

Also, one dog cannot be expected to oversee free range birds at all times. Two or more is better, but even then you could possibly still have losses, as some predators can be very sneaky. You don't have any foxes where you are?

I also second that you do not want a labradoodle or any other kind of doodle for that matter. The chance of getting a well bred one is slim to none and their coat is atrocious.
We don't have foxes or Coyotes here. All I need to worry about as far as four-legged animals is raccoons, stray cats and minks.
I agree that getting two dogs is a good idea.

My wife's Aussie saved her from a mugging late one night on the college campus.

That's great! Deterred by barking and growling? A 65 lb Dutchie or Malinois, yes. I love Aussies and I've known a lot of them, but I've yet to meet one that had the stuff to take down and hold a 200+ lb man.

Aussies recognize eagles as predators
I'm sure some do, my GSDs either recognize them as a threat or can be trained to, but lots of dogs couldn't care less what goes on up in the sky.

Back
Top Bottom