What kind of egg eater cracks open the top and just eat a little of the egg's innards?

MontanaChickDoc

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 2, 2016
central Virginia
A friend of mine has gone to collect eggs and found eggs sitting upright, like a bowl, with the "lid" off (like you'd do for a soft boiled egg in an egg cup) and some of the insides eaten but not all. What does that? No egg eating hen or skunk or possum I have experience with eats eggs that way. They make a mess. This egg eater is quite dainty. A squirrel perhaps?

I know right? We have a game camera but I don't think my husband would let me lend it out, even for this interesting (and very annoying) problem. I suppose a chicken is a possibility but I've never had one just "sample" an egg - it's all or nothing but I suppose anything's possible. I'm not sure that other birds can get into her coop but I think small rodents could. A few weeks ago I happened to close a window flap on my large coop (it's been so hot the windows are always open) and behind it was a huge nest of feathers that a mouse had carefully gathered and made into the nicest feather bed you could imagine! I felt bad tearing it down but...it looked like a whole multicolored chicken tucked in there.

A friend of mine has gone to collect eggs and found eggs sitting upright, like a bowl, with the "lid" off (like you'd do for a soft boiled egg in an egg cup) and some of the insides eaten but not all. What does that? No egg eating hen or skunk or possum I have experience with eats eggs that way. They make a mess. This egg eater is quite dainty. A squirrel perhaps?
Have her get pics of egg sitting up.
Can't imagine any animal leaving and egg sitting upright like that.

Back
Top Bottom