What kind of plywood, sheeting, etc is ok for exterior applications in the upper north?

jimmywalt

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 24, 2013
To all you builders out there..................

What kind of plywood, OSB, sheeting, etc is ok for the exterior walls on a chicken coop? Something that would withstand the upper north winters and spring rains?

Maybe something that could be painted too.

Not sure what it would be called? I've searched Menards.com website where I would purchase it, but can't figure out what the LEAST EXPENSIVE option would be.

Thank you.

All such products require more than paint. They self destruct, even with paint, in a very short order. These products are all designed to be covered with felt paper or house wrap and then siding put on. Something like vinyl siding put over them. By themselves, they have no chance of lasting but a few years.

The only kind of plywood or sheet wood that can withstand the weather is a treated, marine grade type plywood. But, guard your wallet. Such plywood is VERY expensive.

In most cases it is less expensive to use OSB or exterior plywood and side over it properly than to use treated plywood.

T1-11 is a great product. It's a rough surface plywood with architectural groves every 4 or 8 inches. It's more expensive than exterior plywood sheathing but less than pressure treated and results in a finished look. For a structure and siding in one type application which I personally feel is all a chicken coop needs it's the product for you.

I use an oil toner deck stain on mine. It's getting hard to find those anymore but if you can it's worth it. If not use a modified deck stain which is oil yet water clean up, the new blue lid Australian Timber Oil is an example. Don't use the cheap water borne stains.

Think I have a picture to show you what I mean. This is 1/2 inch 4X8 sheet 4 inch grooved T1-11 I used the extra lengths for roof turned other way and then shingled it but that's just how I designed the pieces. You'd use normal exterior plywood, have good overhang and then shingle or tin. 3 winters and still doesn't need a more staining.

900x900px-LL-dd05a309_69907_100_3161.jpeg

I am on a tiny budget. I went to my local "mom and pop" lumber yard to buy T1-11. I asked for any chipped or slightly damaged pieces, if they would discount them. They ended up giving me enough Hardy Board siding (6"×12')to cover my entire coop. It was pieces that were chipped, broken in half or were wet. It was a bit more time consuming to install but It worked out perfect, just needs paint.

T1-11 is a great product. It's a rough surface plywood with architectural groves every 4 or 8 inches. It's more expensive than exterior plywood sheathing but less than pressure treated and results in a finished look. For a structure and siding in one type application which I personally feel is all a chicken coop needs it's the product for you.

I use an oil toner deck stain on mine. It's getting hard to find those anymore but if you can it's worth it. If not use a modified deck stain which is oil yet water clean up, the new blue lid Australian Timber Oil is an example. Don't use the cheap water borne stains.

Think I have a picture to show you what I mean. This is 1/2 inch 4X8 sheet 4 inch grooved T1-11 I used the extra lengths for roof turned other way and then shingled it but that's just how I designed the pieces. You'd use normal exterior plywood, have good overhang and then shingle or tin. 3 winters and still doesn't need a more staining.
Thank you. T1-11 is about $22 per sheet. I was hoping to go cheaper. :-( It's just for a small temporary coop. Maybe I'll try what the other poster said and see if there are damaged sheets they would sell cheap.

Hey what type of fencing is that on your coop? I've never seen that type before.

Thanks again.

T1-11 comes in many grades. There is even a knock off T1-11 looking sheet that is essentially wafer board. I've seen these self destruct in a year. I mistakenly hurried and tried to save a few dollars doing a large lawn shed years ago. Won't ever make that mistake again, even though I painstakingly sealed it with three coats of solid color, weather treatment stain.

The Hardi type products are pretty good for exterior lasting power, but can be pricey unless you get discounted pieces. They can also be very heavy as many of these products are cement based.

A top quality T1-11 siding such as @Egghead_Jr showed above is pretty good, although we have a horrid wood pecker problem here in the north woods. They machine gun across it looking for bugs and can easily destroy it. That may not be a problem everywhere. Top quality T1-11 still is going to cost north of $20 a sheet.

If the housing is temporary, than it doesn't matter as much, I suppose, what you use, but you did ask about holding up to weather in the north country. Construction products are flat out high priced. The time and labor to make something nice and to just have it fall apart quickly can be discouraging. I hope you stumble across something by way of salvaged products you can make work within your budget. Best regards.

I would go with the T1-11,its not the cheapest but will last the longest. Apply a couple coats of good stain and it will last for years.

Back
Top Bottom