What kind of rooster may be good around children?

Farmama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
We have 4 children, ranging in age from 6 yrs to 5 months. Are there any breeds that are more likely to produce a gentler type of rooster? My little brother was injured as a child by a brown leghorn rooster, so I'm a little wary of roosters around children.

Jessi

Delawares and Orpingtons would be good.

I have Delawares and my granddaughter played in the yard all afternoon with the chickens and there were no problems. I would be careful with high strung breeds like leghorns, RIR and Buckeyes.

First of all, no rooster should be allowed around a child that is barely taller than the rooster--one jump up to spur and the child can be blinded. It's really not a breed thing. Kids have jerky, sudden movements that make roosters very nervous. I have super sweet roosters, a Delaware, Barred Rock and a huge Blue Orp teddy bear, but I would not allow any kids around them because all it takes is once to seriously injure a child. Bantams may be better in a way, as was mentioned with Silkies (I can't stand Silkies, but many love them).

Quote:
Well I can't say I disagree with that. No child should be around any animal unsupervised. I should have mentioned that I was in the yard with my Granddaughter. I never trust a child around animals or vice versa. Things just happen. Such is life.

Murphy's law - If anything can go wrong it will.

Rancher

my easter egger Fred is great with my daughter...I have nice silkies and I have had a silkie we nick named stew pot cause he was nasty..

My pretty boy Fred.. (pssst ladies he is taken... Ginger is very faithful to him.. LOL )
13904_dsc03548.jpg

My three boys 12, 10, 8 volunteered last summer at a rescue where there was a bantam OEGB BBREd. He was so tame he hung out in the kitchen and greeted all visitors. We couldn't convince the owner to part with him so we picked up one of our own - another banty OEGB Blue Brassy Boy and he's just the same. I hold him everyday and give him special treats and he runs to be with me every time he sees me. He's very gentle with all the animals - even the children. I know there are no guarantees with any bird in fact, I have a hen that would like to gouge my eyes out and all I do is treat her with love - go figure!!! I recommend the bandy OEGB Roos. Good luck!

Quote:
Well I can't say I disagree with that. No child should be around any animal unsupervised. I should have mentioned that I was in the yard with my Granddaughter. I never trust a child around animals or vice versa. Things just happen. Such is life.

Murphy's law - If anything can go wrong it will.

Rancher

You got that right, Tim! A friend of mine whose daughter was just 4 or 5 at the time had been around the flock from the time she could walk. When her Delaware rooster jumped the child and knocked her down, I mentioned to her about the eyes of a young child being at risk from the rooster. I love my Delaware, Isaac, as you know, and he's a doll, but even then, I would be leery of having any small child around him.

I have had good luck with Silkie, Ameraucana, Silver Laced Wyandotte and Black Australorp roosters.
I recommend you hand-raise your baby cockerels and hold them A LOT! But even still, once hormones
take over inside the rooster, he can still turn on people. ALWAYS BE CAREFUL, even with your gentlest
known roosters. NEVER turn your back on a rooster!

Rhode Island Reds and Leg Horns are two of the least trust-worthy. But there are always exceptions!
I currently have a RI Red cockerel born last May and he is currently VERY sweet, even though he has discovered
the birds and the bees.

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself.
thumbsup.gif

I have two wonderful roosters. Yet, never do I allow the roos and the GS to mix. Just not worth the risk to a childs eyesight or face.

Back
Top Bottom