What kind of supplies do you need for a hatchery?

Like what size of Hatchery? 1st you will need Males and Females for breeding and a Good Incubator and hatcher. To be a state licensed hatchery here in Oklahoma you have to have everything separated. The Incubators / hatchers, Hatching Eggs, Brooders, and breeding fowl all have to be separated buy a solid wall with a door. I would recommend getting your flock NPIP Certification Also.

Nate

I'm starting Double dutch Hatchery a bantam and leghorn hatchery and i need a list of supplies plz help

I've thought about this for fun, too. I sort of dream about it off and on. I would build a nice large barn-- absolutely nothing smaller than 30 X 50 (I have one now-- and that might be on the small side...) Divide it up into a front room for brooding, a middle room for hatching and the rear for separate cages/coops with a center breeze way in the middle with runs that go outside for fresh air. Sort of like a horse facility with stalls inside-- runs outside. My own horse stalls are set up like this and if you spend any time at all (like i have) in really nice stables, think of arranging it like that.

Also consider building in your "tack" room.. not for saddles, but for feed, supplies, extra equipment, storage, extra lamps, etc.. I think your building is going to be the most important part of the this endeavor. The better the building, the better equipped you'll be. Heck... for all of that, I'm thinking a 30 X 50 won't cut it-- mine seems a little small and I only have 4 horse stalls on the end, a tack area in the middle and a working area in the front... perfect for small scale. I bet you'd need something like 80 feet perhaps... How many birds are you thinking about? Definitely a cement floor with insulated interior (I'd just use OSB over the insulation on the walls. An a/c and heater unit for the hatching area-- to control inside temps. I think it sounds like fun, but without the right building, it will be a mess.

Of course, like another poster said, you'll need to be NPIP, and according to your state laws, you'll have to vaccinate at hatch for certain things. You might be able to get a lot of good info if you call your County Extension office and ask what permits you'll need to take out and what regulations you'll need to follow. Sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck! :)

Another thing -- I would not start with "hatchery stock" for your breeders. I'd buy your breeders from people that have fairly good lines established and try to work on a nicer bird that fits the standard better. That will make you stand out. If you start with hatchery stock, then you are no better than anyone else and you have no nitch or line to draw people to YOU over anyone else. But if you can offer a better bird, with a non-hatchery bloodline, and that also look better.... well, that makes a lot more sense. I own a business, and blending in with the crowd and doing things the way others do it, isn't always the best-- and often makes sure you get lost in the fray. That doesn't mean you can guarantee that every chick you produce will be show quality-- far from it, but it DOES mean that you've gone to the trouble to try to have breeder or show quality birds for your pens. I would absolutely cull any pet-quality from your breeding program. But hey, that's just my opinion and how I would do things. :) I still think it would be an awful lot of fun!

awwwwwwwwwwwww dang i have 3 d'uccle pullets and i'm getting more in april and i have 7 leghorns that i'm starting with...i will get WAY more good stock eggs to hatch though

that sounds like a good plan.
wink.png

How many birds are you wanting to have? I agree with getting better quality stock to start out with! I also would recommend your stock having access to outside runs as well!

Nate

Back
Top Bottom