What kind to get?

mama2my4

Songster
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
Julian, PA
I would love to get a few ducks. Just two or so. What I am hoping for is something that is a good layer, not a good flier, and something that is quiet.

Can anyone make a suggestion?

Well the most quiet is the Muscovy but they are only okay layers and definitely good fliers, mind you these concerns would depend on the amount of eggs you desire and you can clip wings.

There are many nice breeds out there but mine is limited to only this breed, there personable, excellent foragers/pest control and hardy birds.

Sorry but those things don't go together (as a general rule) with ducks.

There are a number of breeds that are good layers.
Many breeds that don't fly well.
But only one that is quiet.

Great layers: Khaki Campbell, Welsh Harlequin, Runner, Ancona (the list goes on)
None of the above fly well.
None of the above are quiet. Muscovy are quiet but females can fly well if wings aren't clipped and they are not prolific layers.

Many people will say that they have a quiet member of a breed but there is no guarantee that you would end up with a quiet one.

Sorry but those things don't go together (as a general rule) with ducks.

There are a number of breeds that are good layers.
Many breeds that don't fly well.
But only one that is quiet.

Great layers: Khaki Campbell, Welsh Harlequin, Runner, Ancona (the list goes on)
None of the above fly well.
None of the above are quiet. Muscovy are quiet but females can fly well if wings aren't clipped and they are not prolific layers.

Many people will say that they have a quiet member of a breed but there is no guarantee that you would end up with a quiet one.

Sounds like Muscovy might be the way for me to go. Don't need a prolific layer. And I will just clip the wings.

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom