What meat chickens should I raise? What's the differences?

I thank you too for this thread! I'm on the same wavelength as Andy - wondering if I should do more with my heritage/rare birds or do some FRs for extra meat income. I hadn't planned on doing meat birds but as Andy says, they are a byproduct of the things we do so you do have to deal with it. But after some of the rave reviews we got for the taste of the heritage birds, we're considering doing more meat. Looking at the numbers, the X's look tempting but flies against my preferred ways of doing things. But economics is a strong factor too. So, I'm looking for middle of the road and trying to learn/find info on doing my own crosses with heritage birds and I guess the Cornish? I'm so new to this aspect of the chicken world.

BTW, Andy, I have a Barnie cockerel and pullet from the eggs I got from you earlier in the year and am very happy with them.
smile.png

Susan
Grass Valley, CA

I have raised cornish x chicks a couple of times. Actually just dropped the last ones off at the processor this morning. I am planning my next batch now.

I am thinking about going with something other than the cornish x. Maybe just once to see how it goes.

Where would I ask if someone else near me wants to split an order??

Darin

I have a friend that will be processing chickens for meat. He would rather buy his chicks locally than purchase from a hatchery. If I wanted to supply him with say 1000 birds per year how many breeders would I need to sustain to do so? Someone has to be hatching these so how are they doing it if they aren't getting eggs from these birds? He wants to use the Jumbo Cornish x rocks.

I have raised cornish x chicks a couple of times. Actually just dropped the last ones off at the processor this morning. I am planning my next batch now.

I am thinking about going with something other than the cornish x. Maybe just once to see how it goes.

Where would I ask if someone else near me wants to split an order??

Darin
Check out the thread for your state in the Social section under Where am I? Where are you!
you may be able to connect with someone there ... just word it carefully because some people don't understand eating good food like us meatbird people do, they can get mighty touchy about the thought of killing

To some of us, the fat is the prize! Once you fry your potatoes in rendered chicken (duck or goose) fat, you'll be a convert! One pound in one bire, I am jealous!
thumbsup.gif

You buy the breeder strains from Ross or Avigen or whoever else. They're expensive.
First you have to sign a contract with the company such as Ross or Avigen,then provide approved housing with proper ventilation, heating, lighting with bio- security, a bulk feed storage facility and a feed purchase contract AND the minimum is 10,000 2 parent line breeder chicks. Only then will you be able to supply the terminal CornishX chicks. Good Luck !
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom