What might’ve killed one of my chickens?

saavanuhhh

Hatching
Apr 9, 2024
I have a flock of about 60 chickens who free range all day everyday, im surrounded by some woods which unfortunately some of my chickens seem drawn to. 1 1/2 weeks ago when I did a head check at night I noticed one of my marans was missing, I went looking for her in my barns and some of the surrounding areas but it was too dark and I just didn’t know where to even start looking, the next day I went into the woods and found piles of her feathers but no body (which makes sense, her body was left out overnight). Tonight the same thing, just one chicken missing but this time it was my chocolate orpington hen. I checked the same place I found the other and I found piles of her feathers and she seemed to be dragged just a couple steps away, ate from a little (not the crop & the head was still attached, her skin was flapped off and I could see some of her exposed ribs) The weird thing is she was partially buried so whatever killed her was definitely coming back later, and she was a big bird too very chunky. I’ve never dealt with something that took the time to bury their kill AND never came back for more chickens because it definitely could’ve, my chickens go everywhere. Please help :(!! I live in southern Michigan if that helps.

What Does The Fox Say GIF
peter pan disney GIF
Wes Anderson Movie GIF
Fox What GIF
Seen any of these dudes?

What Does The Fox Say GIF
peter pan disney GIF
Wes Anderson Movie GIF
Fox What GIF
Seen any of these dudes?
Oh nooooo :barnie I’ve only dealt with a fox one time before it was two summers ago and it was a complete mess, the only thing is don’t they usually remove the heads?? and come back for more chickens?? Like it really could’ve had a free buffet so it taking only one would be crazy to me.

I think that you have been pretty lucky up to this point, if you have not lost any of your free roaming chickens.
Now your luck has changed and something had discovered the wide open buffet you are offering.
What ever it is ( and the list is a long one) will continue to come each day for dinner, until you have none left.
It's time to put up a fense and get your chickens in a secure run.
A hot wire will help also.
The fact of chicken ownership become crystal clear to most of us sooner or later.
"Everything eats chicken"!
I'm also on Michigan and these are the preditors I have lost chickens to: fox, coyote, neighbors dog, my dog, racoon, possum, weasel, red tailed hawk, sharpshined hawk, coopers hawk, weasel, feral tom cat, raven, rat snake, bobcat and a Ford driving up my driveway too fast!
Ok so the last one did not eat the chicken but flattened it pretty good..
its a constant battle keeping chickens.
Good luck!

I think that you have been pretty lucky up to this point, if you have not lost any of your free roaming chickens.
Now your luck has changed and something had discovered the wide open buffet you are offering.
What ever it is ( and the list is a long one) will continue to come each day for dinner, until you have none left.
It's time to put up a fense and get your chickens in a secure run.
A hot wire will help also.
The fact of chicken ownership become crystal clear to most of us sooner or later.
"Everything eats chicken"!
I'm also on Michigan and these are the preditors I have lost chickens to: fox, coyote, neighbors dog, my dog, racoon, possum, weasel, red tailed hawk, sharpshined hawk, coopers hawk, weasel, feral tom cat, raven, rat snake, bobcat and a Ford driving up my driveway too fast!
Ok so the last one did not eat the chicken but flattened it pretty good..
its a constant battle keeping chickens.
Good
I’ve had chickens for about 8 years and have seen my fair share of predator deaths but yeah i’ve definitely been pretty lucky, I had a run in with a fox a couple of summers ago and lost a few birds to it and of course it’s constant battle with hawks which i’ve also lost some to, and sneaky raccoons but the last year or so it’s been pretty predator-less which i’m thankful for… until now. It definitely ate some though, around the rib area. Wishing I could’ve gotten a picture before I brought it up and buried it.

@Logar
I had a ground pen with a hutch with mama hen and newborn chicks. The rat snake wove himself into the chicken wire, (back and forth) until he was sewn into the mesh! I had to call my old high school science teacher to come cut him out.
"Mr. Westphall" took the snake elsewhere to release him in a chicken free area.
Good times!

@Logar
I had a ground pen with a hutch with mama hen and newborn chicks. The rat snake wove himself into the chicken wire, (back and forth) until he was sewn into the mesh! I had to call my old high school science teacher to come cut him out.
"Mr. Westphall" took the snake elsewhere to release him in a chicken free area.
Good times!
Now THAT is something a rat snake could get a meal out of. But honestly, if mama was around when it went after a chick, then it probably wouldn’t be around for much longer lol. But that is one awesome teacher you had! I have been stuck with the worst teacher I have ever had for bio this year and I dread every second of it. According to her, animals are incapable of thinking 😑. Never thought a teacher could suck all the fun out of my favorite subject.

Bob cats cover their prey, leave scat and return to kill again. Regular kills but not everyday. They're evasive so you may never see it.They hunt in the middle of the day here

My coop and run is right up against the woods under a canopy of trees so its easy pickings for a bob cat with all the foliage coverage and trees. My chickens won't leave the run but a few minutes at a time and stay close to the coop door unlike before. I've quit free ranging mine for now due to bob cats.I had one injured last fall and 2 taken last month(same day)

Back
Top Bottom