What non-noisy fowl can protect my flock?

ChickyMomm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 9, 2013
Massachusetts
Hi everyone! I have a flock of 7 hens and I'm planning on possibly getting more chicks soon, and I was curious if anyone knows about any type of fowl that can protect my flock like a rooster would, but doesn't make a lot of noise. I live in a neighborhood and I've looked everywhere online to see if roosters are legal/illegal and I haven't seen anything against having one, but I don't know if my neighbors would be able to tolerate the noise. (I hope they'd be fine because everyone goes to work or school during the day anyway and I don't think it's common for roosters to crow at night away...). If someone could just let me know, that'd be great. I let my hens out in the yard a lot but I can't constantly watch them and is just like to have some type of fowl to keep the together and safe.

No bird can keep you hens safe, even a rooster can fail. If you are concerned only let them out when you are home.

From what predator are you protecting your flock? If it's dogs, coyotes, etc., consider electronet fencing. Premier fencing supplies has them. If you have a city lot, any sturdy fence should do it. If you have Hawks, you'll need a wire covering. I have a rooster and a Guinea, (noisy) and have still lost hens.

While I agree that no bird is going to actually protect your flock, I found that turkeys are very good alarm systems. They're ever watchful, and alert when the slightest thing seems off to them. The hens are relatively quiet, making a lovely "pew-pew" sound. The only time they make a racket is when they're truly startled, and even then its a louder "pew-pew". The toms can be noisy things, gobbling and thumping (especially during breeding season). I have had a couple of girls gobble like toms, but they still aren't that loud. Deer like to hang around turkeys because they're always on the look out. And they're funny and adorable :)

They might be worth some consideration :)

My turkey hens are very loud, so not all are quiet, plus mine occasionally chase and harass the chickens.

How would NON-noisy fowl protect your chickens? I think the point usually is that noisy fowl (like, say, geese) make a lot of noise to 'sound the alarm' (attract your attention) so you can go out there and protect them. If they can't sound their alarm loudly enough to let you know what's going on, how are they to help protect your chickens?

A rooster first sounds the alarm. (by crowing) Yes, he will also fight, if necessary... or, at least, theoretically, he's supposed to, lol. Each bird is different, just like people.

Are you asking about birds who might protect other birds (your chickens) in your absence? Are you away all day - as in, at work? I doubt many animals will protect chickens all on their own, without your help. Even a dog - solo - might not be able to do that.

Or did I misunderstand you? Maybe you meant until you heard the protector bird(s) and got outside?

OTOH, if all you need is noise to alert you while you're home, but not loud crowing - why not get a yappy small dog who should alarm-bark? Just make sure you keep good, strong fencing to keep the dog and your chickens separated, but keep the dog in the general vicinity? Daytime barking is generally not a problem, only late-night barking... unless you live in a place with a housing authority, homeowners association, etc.

Last edited:
No bird generally, even a rooster, can protect your flock against all predators. I think the point of having an alert bird like a rooster, guinea, etc. is to A, alert the females to run for cover, and B, alert YOU to go out and see what the heck is going on. True, a rooster will take on a predator, but unless it's something small like a snake they will either get injured or lose. My birds (chickens and ducks) free range on my acre and I am home all day. I work from home. I still lost a drake to a redtail, right in front of the coop door. After that, I locked the flock up for 5 days and the hawk lost interest, although this is the hawks' hunting territory so I always have to be on alert. The best thing if you're gone all day, like others have suggested, is fencing. If you want them to free range for a bit, you can go out with them.

Back
Top Bottom