What NOT to feed geese? (Food that isnt safe for them?)

Going Bhonkers

Songster
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
SW Florida
So we've all heard of the rule about not giving dogs chocolate... are there any foods that are unsafe to give geese?

Outside of their grass and regular feed, we're only planning on giving them veggies and fruit - are there any that we should avoid?

What about nuts? Anyway, you get the idea :)

Okay, but... back to geese.
jumpy.gif

Thanks for the note on the veggies to avoid! I'd even take advice from things that you've heard because I'd prefer not to take any chances on feeding the little guys something that may be safe for human consumption but not necessarily safe for them.

To each his own on chocolate and dogs. But my vet said it is bad for them, period. While in there a woman said just what you did." I feed mine mine a candy bar sometimes and it doesnt hurt him" My vet said right back." Well, Poison in low doses doesnt kill an animal immediately.But you do what you want of course". Fact or opinion,that was enough for me. Sorry but I have to trust my veternarian on this.

Last edited:
Ducks and geese shouldn't be on a main diet of corn and scratch. At the very least an all flock pellet should be fed. Geese are graizers and need pasture/grass/weeds to eat. As new hatchlings a waterfowl starter or chick starter should be fed, again avoiding the whole corn and scratch.

Back
Top Bottom