What on earth is going on with this chicken!

OliviaDeHav

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 21, 2010
This is phyllis - we changes her name from Blondie to Phyllis because as you can see she has this clump of fluffy feather sticking out fo her head! It has been there almost 2 months now! and it keeps getting more and bigger..... this is a picture taken 2 weeks ago and it is much bbigger now, but my camera died on me... also her top tail feather is sticking right up there! WHY....does she have a tail feather that goes over the top of the rest and now sticks way up above the rest? the other chickens don't have this....also,,, she is the only one who every once and a while does this funny - BUCK sound... not the bawk bawk noise the others do, but this random.....ONE BUCK - it is quick and LOUD! and she scares herself!!
Also...this is not a good picture to tell....she is VERY very light compared to my other girls (very pale blond color).. and has some white feathers here and there....
what is breed is she? and what is up with her head tuft and tail feather sticking up...????
thanks for the help! Adding in that she is 18 weeks now, and in that picture she is around 15 weeks
63737_phyllis_and_her_tuft.jpg

ok... got a better one or two!
63737_5_hens_22_and_25_weeks_022.jpg

63737_5_hens_22_and_25_weeks_023.jpg

and it doesn't BOTHER me persay, it is just kind of odd.... also that tail feather UP in the air... phyllis has always been an ODD duck
wink.png
so to speak.....her head is shaped differently from the other chickens also... i still think she is part quail.....

Last edited:
oh! good question! i forgot to add that...
she is 22 weeks old now.... no eggs from any of our birds, but we got them late enough that i read it could be Jan before we see anything...
sad.png

I have one that has that too, no idea what it is but same colour hen as yours. I always thought it was her feathers underneath that didn't completely fall off or something, mine are like 32 weeks old. I felt it and its super soft. don't know what it is, or why it is there, but it doesn't bother her or the other hens, so it no longer bothers me either lol...

Quote:
yeah, i had mentioned the colors are off... it was sunny, but shaded where they were... and yes, she does scare herself
lol.png
...EVERYTHING scares phyllis....she's a sad case
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom