What on Earth is this that eats just the head?

orangesplash

Songster
6 Years
Feb 26, 2018
Islamabad, Pakistan
This is the 4 chick 4-5 months old that is being found dead in my coop with the head eaten. I have no idea of what is happening and what is causing this to happen? Can I be given expert advise on how to handle this situation. Is this a Rat or a Mangoose?
What can it be? PLEASE HELP!

An owl inside the coop? I suppose a racoon wouldn’t close the coop door after a visit. Did this happen during the night when the chickens were closed in?

Then my guess would be a mink, marten, polecat or a weasel. They need just a tiny hole to get in. And sneak out through the same hole again.

Do check every inch of the coop, every joint, make an apron with tiles around the coop. And install a night-camera if you want to be sure what it was.

This is the 4 chick 4-5 months old that is being found dead in my coop with the head eaten. I have no idea of what is happening and what is causing this to happen? Can I be given expert advise on how to handle this situation. Is this a Rat or a Mangoose?
What can it be? PLEASE HELP!
more likely mongoose, but a rat will kill a chicken also. From my reading a Mongoose is like a mink or weasel, Prolific killers.

Probably a mongoose. Do you have a game camera you can put up? Whatever it was, it will be back and then you will know for sure what you're dealing with. Good luck...

i checked the camera and saw the recording and it was a very big rat that did this....

Attachments

• IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1608.jpg
    IMG_1608.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1607.jpg
    IMG_1607.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1605.jpg
    IMG_1605.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1604.jpg
    IMG_1604.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1603.jpg
    IMG_1603.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1602.jpg
    IMG_1602.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 3
Thank You for the report.
I have read Rats will take down a full grown chicken by biting the neck and head. Then usually go for the innards starting at the vent.
Sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry for your loss. I have, unfortunately, once years back had an issue with a weasel who killed one of my young birds and ate only the head.

Sorry for you’re losses. I hope you find a way to protect you’re chickens better knowing what animal did this. Rats are good climbers and netting is no problem for them to chew/cut through. A firm hwc fort Knox with good slabs is probably the best.

Back
Top Bottom