What On Earth Is This?

AmyJane725

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 22, 2019
Western WA
Has anyone seen something like this before?
My hen pooped out this weird sphere. It's like halfway between the size of a ping pong ball and a big marble.
After I washed the poop off of it, it practically looks like an organ. It's mostly soft and squishy, but that darker area with the little "stem" looking thing on it is more leathery. The other part is membranous. From the outside it looks like it could be full of blood.
I punctured it and it was full of what looks to be egg yolk and a little bit of blood, nothing much. There is no possibility of this being fertilized, so it's not some kind of weird, internal chicken pregnancy.
IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

I just don't get it though, because eggs don't have a dark/bloody look to them like this does, so it's not like it's just a shell-less egg.
Why does it look like this? What on Earth is this/what caused it?
If I didn't know any better I'd wonder if she pooped out an ovary or something.
She doesn't act sick at all, so I guess whatever it is isn't an issue for her. I'm just perplexed.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Hens can produce some pretty weird things on rare occasions, and they are almost always one-offs. I will take a guess, because that's all I or anyone can do, that a yolk was released and encountered a broken blood vessel in the oviduct, then got encased in some albumen, rushed through the shell gland without getting a shell, and got pushed out to amaze and mystify us.

What I suggest is, to be on the safe side, give her a calcium tablet each day for two or three days to elevate her blood calcium in case this is a component of this anomaly. One of these whole directly into the beak.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg

Hens can produce some pretty weird things on rare occasions, and they are almost always one-offs. I will take a guess, because that's all I or anyone can do, that a yolk was released and encountered a broken blood vessel in the oviduct, then got encased in some albumen, rushed through the shell gland without getting a shell, and got pushed out to amaze and mystify us.

What I suggest is, to be on the safe side, give her a calcium tablet each day for two or three days to elevate her blood calcium in case this is a component of this anomaly. One of these whole directly into the beak. View attachment 3406761
You are always a fount of knowledge. Kudos! 👏
We are very lucky to have you here.

She didn't lay anything else around the weird egg, but today she laid a normal one. So, I don't know. Weird whole thing. Thanks for the link to the photos. To me it looks like this is the same thing as pictured with reference to the hen with the prolapsed oviduct. It was the fifth set of pictures down if anyone else is curious.

Back
Top Bottom