What plants do well in a run?

Keggen

Songster
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Minnesota
I have a large fenced run area that had a lot of grass and weeds last year, but one year of chickens did it in and now it's all just dirt.

What could I plant that will be hardy and tolerate them walking and pooping all over it? And still be safe if they eat some of it?

I was thinking I could do temporary fences over sections to keep them from being trampled too badly, kind of like a rotational system, to give them time to rest and recover from the hens.

Last edited:
If grass and weeds can't hold it together, I don't think there's much that can. Chickens don't just walk and poop on it, they scratch for bugs and dig holes to dust bathe in. If the chickens wiped the whole thing out in one season, I think you're out of luck for doing any permanent plantings. If you want green areas, I suppose you might try planting some grass seed. You could partition off areas and reseed as they get holes, but I doubt you could get anything like full coverage.
hu.gif

Go into the learning center and go under housing and feeding your chickens, and scroll down and you'll find to lists!

I am trying a new section of grass that I plan to section off periodically, but I was hoping for a durable ground cover that is chicken safe (that they might or might not eat but wouldn't get sick from) and that is pretty durable. What kind of plants are the kind you just can't seem to kill no matter what you do?
gig.gif
Those are the types I think I need! I don't plan to cover the whole run with them but would like sections here and there for erosion control.

I never tried them but I am thinking metal or heavy plastic plants might have a chance to survive in my run. If the chickens can not devour a plant their strong manure in most cases can kill vegetation. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
No plant can survive in a run. Your chickens will eat them to the root and then beat down the earth until it's hard as a rock. It has nothing to do with the type of plant, it has to do with the nature of chickens in a confined space.

If you want to give them greens to eat, I'd recommend a "grazing frame" in the run. Grass can grow up through the wires and the roots of the plants are protected. Here's a link about them: http://www.thegardencoop.com/blog/2012/02/07/grazing-frames-backyard-chickens/

If you're looking to improve the look of the run, you may want to consider using sand. If your intent is to improve the soil, you could add organic matter such as straw, leaves, pine shavings, grass clippings to the run. Your chickens will scratch through it and turn it into compost in no time. It has the benefit of attracting and pulling up worms from the soil, so it gives your chickens something to do and a little snack in the process. If it gets too wet or begins to smell, remove some of the organic matter to your compost bin and add some fresh. That's what I do and it works great.

I have a lot of "green" in my run in addition to the 3 grazing frames. They don't bother the lilac bush at all, are not the least bit interested in any variety of mint or lavender. What are are interested in is digging all around the roots of anything I plant in the run. If I put some small logs, bricks or large rocks around the roots when I plant--they leave everything alone. I only have 3 hens in about 400-500 sq feet, so they have a lot of options. They don't even bother the hostas. When they first popped up, the girls liked to nibble the fresh leaves so I covered them with chicken wire.

Last edited:
I have a lot of "green" in my run in addition to the 3 grazing frames. They don't bother the lilac bush at all, are not the least bit interested in any variety of mint of lavender. What are are interested in is digging all around the roots of anything I plant in the run. If I put some small logs, bricks or large rocks around the roots when I plant--they leave everything alone. I only have 3 hens in about 400-500 sq feet, so they have a lot of options. They don't even bother the hostas. When they first popped up, the girls liked to nibble the fresh leaves so I covered them with chicken wire.
That looks really nice! Right now mine looks like Mtnlaurl described- rock hard dirt in most places. I did try the compost for a while and might do that again. Maybe some bigger bushes and a section of the "grazing" would be a good idea. Thanks for the ideas!

Back
Top Bottom