What predator did this??

So where do we place the CDS?? I'll try anything to try & protect the chickens!! I totally enjoy taking care of them & certainly like the 3 eggs a day, lol. The one hen is molting so no eggs from her.
I cooked up a pkg. of ramen noodles today & they loved them! didn't add the seasoning, as I wouldn't think the salt would do them any good.

A Chicken Lover
smile.png

So where do we place the CDS?? I'll try anything to try & protect the chickens!! I totally enjoy taking care of them & certainly like the 3 eggs a day, lol. The one hen is molting so no eggs from her.
I cooked up a pkg. of ramen noodles today & they loved them! didn't add the seasoning, as I wouldn't think the salt would do them any good.

A Chicken Lover
smile.png
Hanging CD's is unlikely to deter a hungry and determined hawk.
Ramen noodles are junk food...with or without seasoning.

I was thinking hawk from the beginning, If they feel secure, hawks will pluck birds on the ground before eating. Explains all the feathers.

CDs and other stuff will help deter a hawk but not really solve the problem.
The only real solution is to add a top to your run and keep them in the run until the hawk loses interest.
Otherwise if you continue to let them free-range, it will keep picking off your birds.

You could try to get a depredation permit from your state DNR but they are very hard to get.

It is not illegal to scare hawks away but it is illegal to shoot them. You will get fined if you get caught. If you get caught.

I have never used it for such, but if I was looking for something to cover a run to keep hawks and such out, I would look into this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Tenax-60100109-Fence-7-5-Feet-100-Feet/dp/B000KL5JUU

No hawk or flying predator should be able to get through it, grids are large enough snow may fall through without piling up, and is relatively lightweight. Local conditions would probably dictate method and extent of support needed to keep it in the air, but my guess is it should work OK.

I doubt it will keep land based predators out, but a single hot wire around the top of the run will keep those from ever getting to the plastic netting in the first place.

We lost several free range hens to a small hawk at the end of last year. It would attack them in the bushes and tear up their heads and necks, and eat parts of the torso. There were always a ton of feathers at the site of the attack. Since hawks are federally protected, we strung fishing line (hawks are supposed to be able to see it and stay away) in the attack zone and attached reflective mylar tape that fluttered in the wind. We hung CDs from the line and from the trees. We also put up two owl decoys. The wind knocked the CDs down pretty quickly (or tangled them up) and it didn't take long for the mylar to rip off, too. I think the real birds just laughed at the owls. We know there are hawks still out here now, but the crows and black vultures seem to keep them away. We're willing to take the risk to allow them to free range during the day, but know we could lose some at any time to foxes and hawks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom