What predator killed my Muscovy ducks? (Graphic images)

austin22chat

Hatching
Aug 11, 2019
I had three Muscovy ducks set up on my pond. I didn’t feel the need to keep them locked up at night, so I let them roam free. But they stayed in the area. About a few weeks into this, which was a couple nights ago, one of my ducks shows up dead. With just a head, and two wings. I thought it was an owl or maybe a raccoon but I’m not sure. If you have a suggestion on what it might be, please let me know.

Now last night, unfortunately another duck was killed. Found in the morning. I kept the other two in a kennel at nights after the first one went, but there was an emergency and I had to leave, and I wasn’t able to put the ducks in containment. This time, the duck was found whole. With just blood from it’s neck. There looks like a hole in its neck like it was shot. But I don’t really think that was it. There weren’t any other signs of a predator other than the blood from the neck. Behind and below the eyes. What do you think it was?

Attachments

• 87BBE7AD-9A56-4A63-97CE-B7CF8C2318D2.jpeg
    87BBE7AD-9A56-4A63-97CE-B7CF8C2318D2.jpeg
    835.9 KB · Views: 229
  • 182A4188-2043-44F2-B351-5D2E806F9F62.jpeg
    182A4188-2043-44F2-B351-5D2E806F9F62.jpeg
    965.6 KB · Views: 158
:welcome :frow If you have a game camera put it up you may find out what is killing your ducks. I see predators on my cameras most nights roaming around on my property.
DSCF0001292019 01.jpg

I love the game cams, although I never caught a predator on one. I caught some abusive rooster behavior that caused me to remove a rooster from a breeding flock. I also use it to see which birds are laying what eggs. I use it to get a good look at birds that are not friendly so I only see their tail feathers running away from me when I am around. Its a very handy tool for raising chickens beyond searching for predators. You can use it to catch people casing out houses in a neighborhood too.

We lost a hen to a possum. We Havahearted the possum and moved it away from our place after it squeezed under the barn into the pen, where the chicks sleep at night. It killed and ate about half of poor Edith Ann, leaving wings, tail and head. Did you set a live trap?

We lost a hen to a possum. We Havahearted the possum and moved it away from our place after it squeezed under the barn into the pen, where the chicks sleep at night. It killed and ate about half of poor Edith Ann, leaving wings, tail and head. Did you set a live trap?
When Relocating a possum I advice moving it far far away from any horse farms because their Urine can kill Horses if they happen to pee in the hay. I relocate Possums too because they are good for the eco system, they eat poisonous snakes and are not usually predators for chickens unless they absolutely need to be. When I relocate them I keep track of who in my county has horses and drop the Possum off far far away from the horse keepers.

When Relocating a possum I advice moving it far far away from any horse farms because their Urine can kill Horses if they happen to pee in the hay. I relocate Possums too because they are good for the eco system, they eat poisonous snakes and are not usually predators for chickens unless they absolutely need to be. When I relocate them I keep track of who in my county has horses and drop the Possum off far far away from the horse keepers.
All I can say about relocating is you make your problem someone else's . Cruel but kill it , There are plenty more to take it's place .:oops: You wouldn't relocate a rat would you?

Back
Top Bottom