What predator was this? (GRAPHIC)

I found out what the predator is. It's one that I mentioned I was most concerned about. A f****** owl. šŸ¤¬

I woke up at 3am. Knew I wouldn't get back to sleep if I checked on the ducks but of course, I had to check anyway. Just looked out my window, they were having fun, eating mosquitoes.

Laid back down. Couldn't sleep. The thought crossed my mind "I wonder if fate (or whatever) woke me up at this time for a reason.. maybe the predator is about to make it's move."

Still couldn't sleep after a while. I then thought "Screw it, I'll just get up." I would have gone out to check on them/check around as soon as I got up. But before I could even make the move to get out of bed, I heard a duckling holler.. and then all the ducklings in chaos. Looked out the window and saw huge wings in the pen. I didn't have my glasses so it was just a dark shadow to me. Threw on a shirt, ran outside as fast as I could and the damn thing flew off, perched on the telephone pole right above. It went in and out through the same spot where the netting was pulled up before.

Unfortunately, it had already mortally wounded a duckling. It was still moving it's head when I went out but was dead 10 seconds later. šŸ˜¢

Bastard owl.

I got the other pen fixed up, new bedding and everything, right then, in case it decided to come back. So they're all safe in the pen now. I couldn't do it before bed because it was raining.

I had thought of just putting zip ties on the net for tonight so at least the predator would struggle to get in/give me more time to get out there. I should have, dammit. :he

I found out what the predator is. It's one that I mentioned I was most concerned about. A f****** owl. šŸ¤¬

I woke up at 3am. Knew I wouldn't get back to sleep if I checked on the ducks but of course, I had to check anyway. Just looked out my window, they were having fun, eating mosquitoes.

Laid back down. Couldn't sleep. The thought crossed my mind "I wonder if fate (or whatever) woke me up at this time for a reason.. maybe the predator is about to make it's move."

Still couldn't sleep after a while. I then thought "Screw it, I'll just get up." I would have gone out to check on them/check around as soon as I got up. But before I could even make the move to get out of bed, I heard a duckling holler.. and then all the ducklings in chaos. Looked out the window and saw huge wings in the pen. I didn't have my glasses so it was just a dark shadow to me. Threw on a shirt, ran outside as fast as I could and the damn thing flew off, perched on the telephone pole right above. It went in and out through the same spot where the netting was pulled up before.

Unfortunately, it had already mortally wounded a duckling. It was still moving it's head when I went out but was dead 10 seconds later. šŸ˜¢

Bastard owl.

I got the other pen fixed up, new bedding and everything, right then, in case it decided to come back. So they're all safe in the pen now. I couldn't do it before bed because it was raining.

I had thought of just putting zip ties on the net for tonight so at least the predator would struggle to get in/give me more time to get out there. I should have, dammit. :he
So sorry for you loss, at least you know what you are dealing with and can take whatever precautions needed. Hope that owl goes away to somewhere else.

Thanks, Ursuline. I just hope this thread can help someone if they're trying to figure out what predator harmed their flock.

I can't believe an owl would just slip under netting and go to town with it's prey right there in the pen. But as you said, I'm definitely thankful that I know what predator it is now. At least that's easier to deal with than something that can rip and chew through wire.

Back
Top Bottom