what seasonings/extras to add to feed to make it more nutritious?

After a few years I’ve settled on this:

Kalmbach Henhouse Reserve layer feed, stretched with Nutrena Country Feeds layer pellets.

I add:
- Red pepper flakes
- Basil
- Oregano
- Thyme
- Crushed egg shells
- Grit
- Soldier fly larvae
- Cinnamon (sometimes)
- Sage (sometimes)

I put it all mixed up in a flat planter drain dish, and call it a chicken pizza. Here it is.

View attachment 3769083

View attachment 3769085

View attachment 3769086

This is just my routine. Do some research, figure out what they like best. Good luck!
Be careful. Garlic can be toxic to chickens and pepper seeds can block nutrition.

I just noticed that. These blueberries are very plump! They don't get just the blueberries, though. I mix in their layer grain feed with several other leafy greens and additional nutrients. I did cut back to six each, but five sounds reasonable. Plus, I wouldn't mind actually enjoying a few blueberries myself! Thank you.
you are welcome.

Be careful. Garlic can be toxic to chickens and pepper seeds can block nutrition.
I don’t add garlic. The only time I give garlic is with ACV dose for new quarantined birds or for worm sign. As for red pepper flakes- they can have plenty and it’s beneficial in moderation. A sprinkle goes a long way.

I don’t add garlic. The only time I give garlic is with ACV dose for new quarantined birds or for worm sign. As for red pepper flakes- they can have plenty and it’s beneficial in moderation. A sprinkle goes a long way.
Just making sure. Garlic won't do anything for worms, sadly.

I don't use garlic but don't like it when people are told it's toxic. A lot of things can be toxic to chickens, and people as well. It's all in moderation. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/food-advice.1608902/#post-27427812

It's also in this article by our BYC Project Manager.

Back
Top Bottom