What sex is my silver laced Wyandotte chick

limeollie

Hatching
Mar 31, 2023
Hi this is my first post so apologies if the format is a bit wonky, but if all goes well this is my 11 day old silver laced wyandotte, Rue! When we adopted her we were told she was a pullet but but she acts out like a rooster, and her feathers aren’t growing like the rest of her sisters. Is Rue a she or a he? If she is a female why are her feathers growing so slow? Is there a medical issue I should be concerned about? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a new chicken mom :) thank you

Attachments

• DAE4C629-90B8-432D-B291-2EBB7164FE9A.jpeg
    DAE4C629-90B8-432D-B291-2EBB7164FE9A.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 20
  • BF87DEDE-BFED-4BDF-A6A5-9306BCD51DA3.jpeg
    BF87DEDE-BFED-4BDF-A6A5-9306BCD51DA3.jpeg
    422 KB · Views: 12
If she is a female why are her feathers growing so slow? Is there a medical issue I should be concerned about?
If the chick seems healthy otherwise, then slow feathering is nothing to worry about.
There is a gene that causes it, that is common in some breeds of chickens and rare in others. It causes them to grow their feathers much more slowly, but otherwise isn't an issue.

Wyandotte can be harder to tell male from female, i thought mine was a male till i got a egg from her. Repost pics of whole body and comb at 6+weeks of age.

Hi this is my first post so apologies if the format is a bit wonky, but if all goes well this is my 11 day old silver laced wyandotte, Rue! When we adopted her we were told she was a pullet but but she acts out like a rooster, and her feathers aren’t growing like the rest of her sisters. Is Rue a she or a he? If she is a female why are her feathers growing so slow? Is there a medical issue I should be concerned about? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated as I am a new chicken mom :) thank you
Welcome to BYC. Glad you found it.

Are you concerned because you cannot keep a rooster? I have had great luck re-homing roosters on my neighborhood forum and on craigslist, if that is the case. She totally may still be a pullet, though. Fingers crossed :fl.

Back
Top Bottom