What sex is this rabbit?

You mean push back more? It seems to turn into more of a line if I push it back any further. 

But I'm not sure what you mean by pressure. This is our first litter. :idunno

When sexing rabbits, it was easiest for me to have them on all fours, like on a table in front of me and lift up the tail. Then when you see the vent, if you apply a little pressure (push your thumb down gently right in front of the opening), if it's a boy the tip of the penis will pop out. It's been a few years since I had rabbits, so I'm trying to remember the best I can and describe it the best I can! Sorry!

When sexing rabbits, it was easiest for me to have them on all fours, like on a table in front of me and lift up the tail. Then when you see the vent, if you apply a little pressure (push your thumb down gently right in front of the opening), if it's a boy the tip of the penis will pop out. It's been a few years since I had rabbits, so I'm trying to remember the best I can and describe it the best I can! Sorry!

I see. I was using the rabbit on its back method.

I'm also having trouble sexing my rabbit but im thinking Female?

So, this morning I had someone coming to get three does--two thirteen week kits from my first litter and my crankypants doe that was ready to separate from her kits. I knew one kit was a doe for sure, and had gone back and forth on the other, but finally settled on doe. Last minute double check--back to unsure. So, I had my husband come out and look, but he's not studied it as I had so I showed him the for-sure kit doe, then our buck. Then back to the changeling--looked more buckish this time. Buyer shows up, and I discuss with her, and after texting a pic to her DH, we get a definite answer of buck.

Long story, but the reason I go through is to ask a question. Each time I checked, it was more obvious to be a buckling. I think it got flipped and squeezed four times, with 3-5 min in between each. Does the repeat stimulation (best term I can think of) actually help in a situation such as this? I've been checking this kit once or twice a week for six weeks as I'm learning the sexing process and each time I would think it was questionable, then the next day I was back to thinking doe for sure. Overall, while I was disappointed to lose the sale, I'm glad for the whole process as it's great learning for me, and it was my first litter. Buyer was also very understanding (was also the breeder I originally got my does from, so they knew I was new to breeding).

As a side question, this kit was also nearly a pound heavier than sibling. Do the bucklings grow faster early, even though does end up heavier? Also, they were together last week in a playpen while I cleaned cages, and took turns humping each other. Should I text buyer back and mention, or is it really too early for my silver foxes to have a chance at breeding 12 weeks old.

I'm wondering where this 13-week-old buck's testicles are. Even if they are playing "now you see 'em, now you don't," you should at least have some slack skin where the empty sacs are.

on the young males you certainly do not see any sign of testicals. and I don't think the repeated stimulation would cause the penis to become more apparent, it's probably that you are becoming more familiar with what you should be seeing. once you get it down it will be extremely apparent. the best advice I can give is don't be afraid to apply pressure to make the reproductive organ stick out. in a male you'll see an oval tip that is the penis and in the female you'll see a "slit" that runs the entire length of the organ. I hear a lot of people say that you can't sex a young rabbit and that is absolutely false.

on the young males you certainly do not see any sign of testicals.
At 13 WEEKS? There have been litters sired by bucks that age; they certainly should have some sign of testicles by then! They may not be fully developed, but there should be something there.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom