What should I feed?

SeabassSarmale

Songster
May 30, 2022
What should I feed chickens if I want to maximize egg laying production, but also keep them healthy and not overburdened? I’d be curious to know what y’all feed yours.

Layer feed is the most efficient feed to max out egg production. Choose 18% protein if you can. Many Layer feeds are at 16% protein,, and are less cash.

I personally use an Alflock, 18% protein, and 2% calcium. Have been doing this very long time. Keeping chickens over 20+ years. Chickens are also my pets,, so I do not process (eat) my chickens, but do eat the eggs.:drool:drool:drool

My reason for the lower calcium percentage..
My chickens live long lives. After a while, they stop laying eggs. I still keep them. That translates to flock of hens laying, and hens not laying.
I offer them cracked oyster shells free-choice always.

BTW,, offering cracked oyster shells free-choice is good even when feeding Layer feed. Chickens do know what they need, and will occasionally snack on the shells.

Another thing that I do, and many others as well. We recycle our spent egg shells back to the chickens. I just step on the shells in the run, to crush them into small pieces.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Agree with above layer feed is a great option, with oyster/egg shells on the side.

I as well feed an All Flock, I had only hens until recently but the higher protein feed was an easy choice for me, I didn't need to switch or add too much if anything else during molt. Oyster shell and egg shells (when I have some) are always offered in the side as well as grit.

Also limiting treats will help keep the diet balanced.

Back
Top Bottom