What should I put on the ground of my uncovered chicken run? Its getting muddy and on a slight slop

ranchchick389

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 29, 2014
Portland, TN
I'm not sure what I should use for my chicken run. Right now its just dirt and grass. It gets muddy at times. I thought of using sand but what kind of sand is best? Would hay be a bad idea since its not covered? Any ideas would be great!

In the summer, I use grass clippings. In the winter I use pine shavings. My run is on a decent slope so as the chickens scratch and it rains, the bedding gets pushed to the low end. A couple of times a week and right before I know it will rain, I'll take the rake and spread it back out. As the old bedding decays, I just put new on top.

This seems beneficial in many ways. It pretty much eliminates any poopy foot problems. I give my girls fodder so the sprouts they miss or bury will continue to grow in the bedding to be found later when they scratch or I spread it back out. When it rains, worms and bugs get the bright idea that the bedding is somehow a safe place to be. What a delicious mistake!
lau.gif
Lastly, my veggie garden is next to the coop/run on the low end of the slope. I don't have to worry so much about fertilizer.

You don't say how large of area you have. My suggestion is to put sand in a section of the run and see how it works for you. Use coarse sand , It also provides grit chicks might decide to pick up. And in another corner of run place some hay or straw. See how that works for you. During summer, I put my grass clippings into my run area. This keeps area clean and mud free as well as provides opportunity for chicks to endlessly scratch through.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom