what size duck water buckets are safe around chickens (so they dont drown!)

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
? Im using buckets for my ducks that are I think a little less than 2 gallon size also a kiddie pool . I read about chickens drowning Is there a certain size bucket they tend to drown in and not others maybe ?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ool-in-with-my-chickens.1097501/post-16872367

When I was younger, ma had RIR's who seemed to ALWAYS find a way into the water, I agree with this post, as long as they can stand in it enough to hop out and it's not freezing cold out... Of course accidents happen, so I guess it's another one of those things that you have to be comfortable with too. I would always err on the side of caution... They may not like it, but maybe the kiddie pool, just not too full?

Could this chicken drown in this bucket? To me it seems highly unlikely, nearly impossible

Attachments

• BB21EEA4-AA1A-49DB-95A7-9BB6EEFCF722.png
    BB21EEA4-AA1A-49DB-95A7-9BB6EEFCF722.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
Anything is always possible if you have a nutty one and it does happen occasionally, but I don’t think it’s that common of an occurrence to worry about unless you are locking your chickens in a confined space with large open water sources. Being around chickens since I was a kid I have never actually seen one drown. We have/had (moved a couple of times) stock tanks, large ponds, small ponds, water dishes, 2 gallon buckets, 5 gallon buckets etc. Currently we have a 10x10’x1’ duck pond, stock tanks and 2 gallons buckets. The chickens when they are out drink out of the pond and 2 gallons all of the time.

Back
Top Bottom